Albatros Bits

Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Rewrite
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Albatros Bits Forum Index -> The Murloc is Lonely
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amaunator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering...

Before the Rewrite we had four parts: part one with six chapters, part two with seven chapters, part three with six chapters and part four with ten chapters.
Now we only still have one part but already ten chapters. Have you moved some chapters down so they are all still part one, have you added chapters because of additional content, or have you neglected to draw the line? Smile (Can happen to anyone! Just spouting my insane constructive criticism here Wink.)

Chapter VII of the oldmurloc.com is the first of part two, and is equal or comparative to Chapter VIII of the rewrite (thanks for making Katy M a more dignified guardian, that 'jumping over the fire randomly attacking Madoran' scene always bothered me and disturbed my visualisation of Katy M Wink), from which we can conclude that we already have one, full, extra chapter! Wink

So, what is it? All or some, and some other hidden motives behind your actions?
Albatros
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering when someone was gonna notice that. =] There are now going to be only three parts in Book One, with the four parts of the old Book One combined into parts One and Two of the new Book One. The breaks - between parts and books - are going to be in different places, less in line with ooh-shocking cliff-hangers and more in line with Horse's progression as a character.

Part of my nefarious purposes is to combine parts early so as to allow me more flexibility in the length of parts later on. I had thought that I had stopped at the end of Part Two of Book Two, but I've decided that it has a few more chapters in it before it's done.

Last edited by Albatros on Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Albatros
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question of how many new chapters you've gotten in the rewrite is complicated, because I've merged some old chapters, rearranged others and removed large chunks of others. I'm curious about this myself, so I'm gonna map new chapters to old chapters and post it here.

The New Book One Part One
new chapter => old chapter(s) and notes

1 => 1; new Trent's Office & Scarlet Cathedral scenes
2 => 2 & part of 3; extended Trent's Office & Dinner scenes
3 => parts of 3 & 8; new R and T's apartment scene
4 => entirely new
5 => parts of 3, 4, 8 & 9; new Scarlet Checkpoint scene; extended Fang and Katy M scene
6 => 5, extended
7 => 6, extended
8 => part of 7; 10, extended
9 => 11 & 12; extended History Lesson scene
10 => 13; extended Airstrip scene

[added later, again for my own curiosity]
11 => 14
12 => 15
13 => 16 & half of 17
14 => the rest of 17
15 => 18
16 => 19 & most of 20
17 => a bit of 20 & 21 (new exposition on the Black Book)
18 => 22
19 => 23 & 24
20 => 25, 26 & a bit of 27
21 => the rest of 27 & 28
22 => most of 1
23 => a bit of 1 most of 2
24 => the rest of 2 & half of 3
25 => the rest of 3 (new scene with a guy.)
26 => 4
27 => 5
28 => 6
29 => 7
30 => 8

Last edited by Albatros on Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Albatros
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heloly wrote:
Albatros, I know that we may have discussed this already, but you should seriously consider some sort of financial gain from this writing process. You can get big advances and all kinds of nice stuff if you work at it. Why else are you re-writing the story? Surely you have ambitions to get it published. I mean, you know as well as we do that we were already hooked on your story, so there was no real need to change it. Can you lay it out stright for us: Are you going to try to get published?

No pressure. I fully expect a response kind of like this:

>.>
<.<
Maybe.

I realized I never answered any of this. I'm not presently trying to get published. The main reason for this is that if I got a publishing deal, it would take me so long to write the rest of the story that you guys would be left without for a very long time - a year, maybe? - and I don't wanna do that to you. I would love to get published eventually, but I think the odds are long, for a bunch of reasons that I've been over many times before (not canonical; already available for free on the web; I don't own the copyright to much of the story), so I think as far as money goes, I'm going to try to monetize this thing online. The prospect of crafting what I believe is the first profitable serial web-novel business strikes me as a hell of a good time. Smile As I've suggested previously, teeshirts will be in the offering as soon as I start getting regular paychecks again.

And I thought of another reason, the primary one in fact, that I'm rewriting despite having you folks hooked: because it feels awesome to write the best story that I possibly can. Really awesome.
Aidinthel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albatros wrote:
it feels awesome to write the best story that I possibly can. Really awesome.
That's what separates the artists from the profiteers. */salute*

I never nuked anything that didn't stop being an immediate problem.
Exodus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aidinthel wrote:
Albatros wrote:
it feels awesome to write the best story that I possibly can. Really awesome.
That's what separates the artists from the profiteers. */salute*

That's what seperates the artists from The Rolling Stones you mean, right? Those guys have millions and need to retire man, for real! I mean, I like the stones' music and all, but seeing Jagger's grossly flabby arms at the super bowl last year was just eye-enflaming.
Aidinthel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*shrug* Eh, I'm not in to music very much.

I never nuked anything that didn't stop being an immediate problem.
Amaunator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, and I certainly don't like the Rolling Stones, so I'm more than willing to call them profiteers Razz.

And yeah, it must feel good to be able to write this story, because it's brilliant! Smile
Exodus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Others answered it as my horse galloped through the light and into the mounta

in, and a shot rang out,

I think you might want to put that sentance together and try and find a different place to split that paragraph up, if you want to do it at all hehe.
Albatros
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d'oh. amaunator tried to point that out to me too, but I didn't get it. stupid html...
Amaunator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albatros wrote:
d'oh. amaunator tried to point that out to me too, but I didn't get it. stupid html...

^^

Well, in your defence, I think I only used smileys to point out to you that it was somehow skewed Very Happy. Even an omnipotent bird can't be omniscient Wink.
Dementio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First post. Woot.

I love the story, and have been reading it since...I forget, really. Heh, oops. Anyway, I love the re-writes, and the new things we're seeing, but there's one thing that bothers me; We seem to be losing a bunch of small things. Like, Horse seeing a rune barely etched into the wall in the basement of the manor, and then asking Madoran about them later. That was a good bit of foreshadowing Razz Or, in the latest chapter, when Horse hands the snake to Madoran, and Madoran just accepts it. I *think* I remember Madoran having made a face. I mean, it's nothing important (well, OK, a little important, or I wouldn't have posted), but it does make the story seem a little less...natural. Kind of like, "let's hurry up and tell it, and get one with the next bit".

I guess I just miss the little stuff Razz

Great story though! Can't wait to see the rest of the re-writes, or the new stuff.

PS. Wasn't there a link to a site that had the old story?
Albatros
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dementio, thanks for your compliments! The old Murloc 1.0 can be found at http://www.albatrosbits.com/oldmurloc.php.

I took out the faint symbols in the mansion because as it turned out, they weren't doing anything there but foreshadowing, and that's not really how the Law works. There are a couple other instances where strange symbols show up actually doing something important, and I figured those were enough foreshadowing on their own. I agree that it was a neat little touch, but I'm afraid it's staying on the cutting-room floor.

Go have a re-read of the Salves chapter in the original (towards the bottom of the old chapter 17) - I think you're remembering things slightly wrong.

The rest of the rewrites will be coming out over the next few weeks - I hope to have them done fairly soon. Then, on to new stuff! why, I took a tour through the Scarlet Monastery today just for kicks and research...
Exodus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright! I have come to realize why I love this story so much: it gives you that feeling you got when you first entered WoW all over again. This story is the embodyment of adventure and discovery and what not. I came to realize this when they were under the water and were all, "whoa dude, rad!" and I remembered feeling that exact way the first time I took the tram. I remember actually jumping off of the tram just to get a good look at the ocean.

Sadly that feeling was lost in endgame WoW but is now back with TBC (which I am thuroughly enjoying as I am now 66!) and it's a great feeling to have.

I also have a new and amazing theory: The Law uses shadow magic which is one of the reasons they try to remain secret (although really it's just icing on the cake). The whole 'we'll help out behind the scenes' and then the dead ogre and then the part coming up (greatest part of the story, IMO) about 'who goes around in the middle of the night melting faces?' means that it's the Law! I believe that we never quite figure out who does it which really only leaves the Law to be doing it, thus one more thing the Law (or a select few of its members) have to keep secret from the world.

Loving this stuff, it's as good as new stuff and coming in at a faster rate than ever Razz.
Sabredurid330

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, in addition to thr Dark Portal and Outlands (which I have very little experience in) I really like the new starting zones. The feeling is fresh and the quests feel like they're actually signifigant unike the old starting areas where it felt like you were walking into a town and randomly helping out a bunch of people. Each scene fee;s signifigant.

It has also inspired me for my second book (the rest of book 1 is mapped out to a tee) which will be named Broken.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Albatros Bits Forum Index -> The Murloc is Lonely All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: