Albatros Bits

Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Murloc Lore
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saranus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Murloc Lore Reply with quote

Thought I'd make this thread for asking questions directly relating to the lore of the Murloc is Lonely.

I'll make a statement regarding Old Taurahe (or and "old" language for that matter). Knowing Old Taurahe would be like one of us knowing Latin or something. It is in fact a dead language, it takes time to learn and use and virtually no one speaks it. Therefore, using a language like this should be a skill. (This is not the case for our goblin bard since it's a song. You don't actually have to be fluent in the language to learn and sing a song.)
drakedragon92

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my guy knows a little only because it suits his background...
Estrada

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i have a question in regards to Silvermoon

Silvermoon is now, according to Burning Crusade, the home of the bloodelves, and quel'thelas is thier country. So where do the High Elves call home, in murloc lore? I think the elf priest might have said it somewhere in there, i just couldnt find it.
Amaunator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estrada wrote:

Silvermoon is now, according to Burning Crusade, the home of the bloodelves, and quel'thelas is thier country. So where do the High Elves call home, in murloc lore? I think the elf priest might have said it somewhere in there, i just couldnt find it.

Silverymoon, you mean? Smile

Maybe they've become wanderers?
Albatros
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estrada wrote:

I wrote Quel'thalas (sp?) as the home of the High Elves before BC came out with its version. I could change it, but I like my version - differentiating High from Blood and giving High their home back - and there's six hundred years between WoW and tMiL for me to work in some fixer-upper lore. So here's the tMiL version: The blood elves did their thing with the crazy magic city, but the scourge war wasn't over yet, and the scourge came through a second time and destroyed it again. The blood elves are in fact a homeless people now. The High Elves then went in, per Allyndil's story, and ekked (sp?!) out a tiny homeland.
Amaunator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check on first (sp?) :p.

'Eked' for second one Wink.

600 years gives you lots of lenience Wink. Any 'bigger than one generation' time amount suits, though. Having just written up a story stretching over 8000 years made me realise that Wink.
Albatros
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gyar. I'm not saying it ain't convenient =)
Sabredurid330

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was curious if you could give general overview of the Eastern Kingdoms at large at time of tMiL. I know that everything north of the Thandol Span excluding the Silver Hand, Undercity, and Quel' Thalas has been dominated by twisted forest and shapeless evil.

I've heard that Lakeshire has grown into a decent sized city itself. Westfall has been taken over by Goblins so all of the family farms are gone. Duskwood has been assimilated into STV which has blended with the southern edge of Elwynn Forest. The Burning Steppes are not so burning from what I've read too.

But what about the rest of the world? Is Menethil still entact, Grim Batol ever repopulated, are the Dark Iron dwarves/ Wild Hammer dwarves still around, or have they been wiped out? The Dranei have left the planet, or so I think I've read somewhere. Are the Badlands still around, what about Medivh's tower, Karazhan and Deadwind Pass? Is the Blasted lands still around and is the Dark Portal still there?

Obviously you can take your time in answering all of these questions and for your convenience (and my preference) I'll prioritize them. Obviously, your story comes first and these questions are more out of curiosity to understand the world you've created rather than out of any dire need for my character.

1. The status of Grim Batol/Menethil Harbor
2. Burning Steppes/Searing Gorge stuff
3. Loch Modany stuff
4. Badlands
5. Deadwind pass and Karazan
6. Blasted Lands/Dark Portal
Saranus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer about Menethil. It's sort of a dimished version of its former self. Geographically it is suited to facilitaing commerce between Lordaeron and regions to the south. Since Lordaeron is no more, Menethil's commerce is greatly reduced. It's hard to get there by land anyway, you have to navigate a murky, foggy swamp, so sea travel was its main source of people and goods. Now that zeppelins have become more widespread in their use, seaports aren't as important as they used to be. Menethil is no longer the vital link to Kalimdor that it used to be because the zeppelins can fly straight to Storm City or Orcmar or wherever they want to go. There's still a fishing village there, but that's about it.

Also, the the harbor/bay to the south of Menethil has been filled in with silt and sediment since the big delta has been expanding for 600 odd years. I imagine Menethil is also no longer an island.
Albatros
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sabredurid330 wrote:
I was curious if you could give general overview of the Eastern Kingdoms at large at time of tMiL. I know that everything north of the Thandol Span excluding the Silver Hand, Undercity, and Quel' Thalas has been dominated by twisted forest and shapeless evil.

Add one to your list though, right? =)

Sabredurid330 wrote:
I've heard that Lakeshire has grown into a decent sized city itself. Westfall has been taken over by Goblins so all of the family farms are gone. Duskwood has been assimilated into STV which has blended with the southern edge of Elwynn Forest.

Right on, although Duskwood is more like Elwynn than like STV.

I like Lakeshire. I'm not sure if we're gonna get to see it in the story, and I don't even have a particularly sharp idea of it in my mind, but as a smaller-than-Storm-City city spread out around a lake, in the shadow of some pretty mountains, I really like it. Also, there's a hoard of SC refugees there. Don't worry, I haven't forgotten about them.

Westfall... goddamn goblins...

Sabredurid330 wrote:
1. The status of Grim Batol/Menethil Harbor
2. Burning Steppes/Searing Gorge stuff
3. Loch Modany stuff
4. Badlands
5. Deadwind pass and Karazan
6. Blasted Lands/Dark Portal

1. Saranus is spot on about Menethil. (gg Saranus Exclamation )

Re Grim Batol: The dragons disappeared from Azeroth some five hundred years ago (although there are enough whelps and stuff still around for the aristocracy to get its rare-drop pets), and their old fortresses have by and large crumbled to dust. Blackrock Mountain is just a mountain now, no volcano - Grim Batol is a haunted ruin - the Sunken Temple is lost in swamps where no one ever goes - the Caverns of Time are buried by the sands of time - and of course no one cares or has any idea what's going on in the northern half of Kali. (...does that cover all the colors?) So any Dragon place is crumbled or lost.

2. You read right: the Burning Steppes stopped burning when Ragnaros was finally defeated 400 years ago. Now it's a pretty nice place, rolling grasslands and everything - volcanic ash is hella good fertilizer. It's where the dwarves do their Griffin raising and training.

The Searing Gorge still ain't pretty - not surprisingly, Goblins are again to blame. It's not so searing any more (see above, re: volcanism), but it's smoggy and nasty and unpleasant. They do heavy manufacturing there. If you're a little kid in Lakeshire or Morgan's Rest, your parents'll tell you that if you don't go to bed, the goblins will come and take you off to the work camps. (Also, sometimes this actually happens.)

3. Loch Modan is now a little river Modan: about a hundred years after WoW, a radical sect of Dark Irons finally managed to destroy the dam. It was an act of terror, and although it was perpetrated by a small sect, the rest of Dwarvenkind (and of the world) turned on the distinct-looking clan and wiped them out. There are some Dark Iron genes still around by way of early intermarriage, but as a clan, they're dead.

The rest of Loch Modan is still a perfectly pleasant place. (See B1-C17.) It's part of the still-intact dwarven kingdom. Thelsamar, the lowbie dwarven town, is still there and still serves a mean pint of ale. In B1-C21, Madoran describes getting word of the dark wizards and their book-seeking plans from an innkeeper in Eastern Khaz Modan - that inn is in Thelsamar.

The Wildhammers, keepers of Aerie Peak, died to the Scourge. A few survived - enough to write the song Madoran sings in chapter 20. Those that survived stayed loyal to their birds, eventually settling in Morgan's Rest to rear them. There weren't enough of them to maintain the clan as a clan, and it has married itself off. Those that descend from the Wildhammers are proud and revered, though, and, to honor the dead, all dwarves have taken the Aerie Peak tragedy as their own.

4. Not much to report here. The Badlands are much like they were. Not much going on, although the Dwarves still dig about and get beat on by Troggs from time to time.

It should be interesting to note that a lot of the ZOMG SECRETS unearthed by the dwarves in the WoW era have become part of common knowledge - the Dwarves are down with having been crafted from Stone now. Some of the Dwarves have (surprise!) taken it to an extreme - the Heralds of the Titans, for example, that take over Ironforge in Madoran's absence, are all on about how the return of the Titans is imminent (and has been for, you know, a couple centuries now).

5 and 6 go together: No one has really been out that way in a long time. (Extra credit: Rhy has been, though!...) Don't think about my coyness too hard, though - it's not a sign that That's Where All The Secrets Are. (They're Not.)

Right again about the Draenei - they have in fact moved on to wherever, per M's exposition in Book Two. Wouldn't it be lame if that was their only place in the whole story, though?...

Did I cover that all? Feel free to ask other stuff - these are the threads where I do my best plotting. This exchange alone brought two bits previously unfocused bits into focus for me, for example. If I remember, I'll give you due credit when they roll around. =)
Ulkarr

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to know about Undermine? and the goblins in general. So far through out the story they've been desribed as more like the venture co then the steamwindle cartel. Ruthless and horible. I want to know how much of an outcast my WoM character really is?
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ulkarr, your little goblin bard is a true rarity - a goblin in this day and age who cares about art and is good at it. Your man is pretty well looked down upon by most of his own kind. Everyone else, meanwhile, will judge you on sight for being a goblin - but once they get to know you, they will likely have more respect for you than they would, say, for an equally talented human bard. You broke the mold, see.

More on Undermine another time, promise!
Ulkarr

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. What about the other goblin towns, they still there have they grown? Same sort of question as the menethil one.

so everyone will dislike/distrust my character at first..... Makes it more interesting to play. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what has happened to Arthis? and what about the blood elves? like is it really rare to find one or are they everywhere and if i make my character a blood elf does he need to be obsessed magic and mana or can i just make him a blood elven warrior or do i need to change him into a high elf?
Saranus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of your questions are answered in the story if you pay close attention.

For example, Arthas was dethroned by the Argent Dawn's army. Then Varimathras turned on them and took the Scourge for himself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Albatros Bits Forum Index -> World of Murloc All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: