Albatros Bits

Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Out of Character Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saranus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: The Out of Character Thread Reply with quote

This is where you come to discuss all things World of Murloc out of character. You can ask questions about game mechanics or Murloc lore. Basically, this is where you ask or say whatever your character can't.

The only restriction would be, keep it at least marginally about WoM.

Also, this is the only of its kind.
Sabredurid330

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me see if I've got this right-

-Play only your own character (This includes not playing NPCs as well as other players) (For example Vincent requests a mug of tea.) At the start of the next turn you would show a reaction to that (The bartender gives Vincent a mug of tea)

-All events are happening at roughly the same time so we should wait until the turn 2 to react to something that happened during turn 1.

-All posts are to be made in the present tense, unless your character is discussing something that already happened.

-Be realistic (use common sense) Don't try to make your character an unbeatable God-moder. It's way more fun to write something realistic anyway.

Is that about it? Tell me any other things you may want to tell me are rules.
Gandelle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only question is when will my character is officially made so I can start playing? I don't know why but I'm eager to do this even though it's my first, so I'll try my best at it. Will I be notified when my character is officially made and when I can start posting as him. Once my character is officially looked over and made, does it show up as "Khallas has joined the game" in the pub? Just some questions as to how this is working out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Saranus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Sabredruid, you pretty much got it. Anything else, I will explain as the issue arises. It would be impossible for anyone to try and predict from the beginning what all the possible problems might be.

Gandelle, feel free to jump in whenever you want. I'll add you into the turn post.
Ulkarr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: when we go to use an ability do we have to state that we are using it and wait for a gm to say of it failed or succeded or do we just use it adn asuume it works. Ie how are the abilities going to work?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: My first post I wrote about an NPC giving Grym some water...is this against the rules?

Last edited by Grym on Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
mortarman178

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Question: when we go to use an ability do we have to state that we are using it and wait for a gm to say of it failed or succeded or do we just use it adn asuume it works. Ie how are the abilities going to work?

it will depend on the spell or ablility ...if you are trying to attack lets say for Ex lady ony your spell would fail right now but later it would get better and you would be able to hit. as far as stateign it that would probably be good just put it itn () things so we can know what you are doing

Quote:
Question: My first post I wrote about an NPC giving Grym some water...is this against the rules?

no something small like that is fine like gettign a glass of water later on tho if it is a bigger things you will ahev to wait for a Gm to give you a reaction

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."

"A hero is born among a hundred, a wise man is found among a thousand, but an accomplished one might not be found even among a hundred thousand men."
Plato
Letum

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to contradict you, mortar my man, but I think that Grym was overstepping his boundaries. Saranus got onto me for recieving a bowl of crackers. He said that in the previous, more relaxed RP's this would have been acceptable, but in WoM, you can play only your character.
Saranus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that is something I want to establish early on. Only play your own character. I say we just make it absolute. That way we don't have to define a line saying what is ok and what is overstepping your boundaries.

@ Ulkarr: When you use an ability, you don't have to explicitly state that you are doing it. Weave it into the story telling. For example: if you were going to do an Aimed Shot, you could say something like: "Saranus takes careful aim, peering carefully along the sight of his gun. He focuses in on his target's vital organs and squeezes the trigger." You don't use it and assume it works, you just use it and the GM will decide if it works. And in most cases it probably will if you used it well.

Make it something like that. You don't have to do this: "Saranus uses aimed shot." or whatever.

Also, my action didn't assume anything about the outcome. Notice I didn't say, "Saranus shot his target" because that assumes I actually hit them. It is up to the GM to determine your success or failure. Correct: "Player swings his axe at his target." Incorrect: "Player slices his target with his axe."
Grym

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I want to interact with a small NPC, then I must wait for a GM to respond? How about small little conversations like the one I had? That would take days!

Oh, and when can we make another turn to interact with that new questgiver =)

Last edited by Grym on Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sathos

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the quest giver signify a new turn, or does it have to be specifically announced?
drakedragon92

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sathos wrote:
Does the quest giver signify a new turn, or does it have to be specifically announced?

i would assume itneeds to be announced considering every1 hadnt gone yet wen NPC entered
Saranus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, short announcement. I'm going to be leaving early tomorrow morning for a field trip for my geology course and I'll be gone all weekend.

I'll be back Sunday evening and there will probably be a lot of crap waiting for me here. Wink Anyway, have fun, I know I will.
Onokos

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, that means you missed my PM. Sad Guess I'll have to wait until Sunday to get in on this thing ...
"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do. What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of God, I will do." --Edward Everett Hale
Purple Steve

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

afternoon all, i just thought i'd run a quick apology/disclaimer regarding my participation in the RP, especially regarding my character.
I reread my first post this morning and realised that i had totally overdone it, i had no intention to make it sound as though my character was some kind of epic hero, yet that is how i ended up making him out to be- even to the point that albatross sent me a PM asking me to tone it down a bit. in my defence it was a silly hour of the morning (as it is now) and i was pretty tired, so towards the end of my post i kinda lost track of where i was wanting to go with it.
however, rather than editing it i've decided to continue along the road i've written myself on to and let Cade be an arrogant S.O.B. with far too much confidence in his own abilites and contacts. after all, there has to be someone in the party that noone gets along with, otherwise it's all too easy Wink
So if you find yourself hating my character and thinking that he needs a good slap in the face, then don't hate me a a concequence, just consider that it means i'm doing my job well Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Albatros Bits Forum Index -> World of Murloc All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Page 1 of 46

Jump to: