Albatros Bits

Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Life and Fast Times of Durgen Tharlak
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Albatros Bits Forum Index -> The Writers' Nest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slashtrain

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saranus wrote:
Yeah, he's gonna get that spell that teleports him to Moonglade, then he will be automatically be logged out after being AFK too long on the obscenely long flight back to Thunder Bluff. Razz

AHAHAHHAHAHAHA

that happened too many times... while i was leveling my druid i would always hold off on goin to moonglade until my hearth was ready to take me back. that flight was ridiculous... couldn't it send people somewhere closer like ashenvale? even orgrimmar's better.
Alec

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be a teleport back to TB, then set your hearth in the UC and you can get anywhere as fast as you could want.
Slashtrain

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alec wrote:
It should be a teleport back to TB, then set your hearth in the UC and you can get anywhere as fast as you could want.

play a mage
Alec

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I eat mages for breakfast, as part of a balanced meal!
Exodus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a balanced meal, eat a warlock and then eat a rogue. Complete balance!
Alec

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And anyways, since Org and TB are the same place mages can only portal to two places. So with my two portals and a hearth and their two portals and a hearth we'd be equal. (except for the fact that I'd kick their ass any day of the week)
Slashtrain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhhh actually mages can port to any of the major 3 cities. they just learn tb 10 levels later. for horde they learn teleport to org and undercity at 20 and thunder bluff at 30 and portals to org and undercity at 40 and thunder bluff at 50.
Alec

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that, but since org and TB are in almost the exact same place they only count as one location Wink
Saranus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The furbolgs and Durgen moved to sit down by the dying fire. Gurda went over to one of her sentry wards. It had been triggered by the furbolgs’ arrival. She recast the spell and a large green eye appeared once again in the circle. Satisfied, she rejoined the others.

Durgen looked expectantly at the newcomers. Grull smiled at him then leaned over the fire, and with his clawed hand, coaxed the flames to reach higher just like Gurda had hours earlier. “You’re a shaman?” asked Durgen.

Grull nodded, “You could say that. I do what the Horde shamans do, but I call myself a Totemic.” He lifted his cloak and underneath, hanging from loops of cloth, were several carven totems. They were different from the ones Durgen had seen used by the Horde shamans. It was a stylistic difference. Most of Grull’s totems were still covered in bark and the carvings seemed somehow more primitive, but still having an exceptional level of craftsmanship, as if it were obvious that the maker could have made something much more complex.

“Those are amazing,” said Durgen, honestly, although he was painfully aware that he didn’t really know what he was looking at. Gurda, however leaned in, and with an obviously expert eye, appraised them as masterpieces. Grull swelled with pride and thanked them both.

“So the mask is off, Gurda?” said Subir, who had been sitting pensively.

“What do you mean?” She said casually.

“It’s obvious that you aren’t the junior shaman you have led some to believe.” His eyes twinkled as they narrowed shrewdly.

Gurda seemed flustered by this. “Things didn’t go exactly according to plan, Subir. I was forced to make some spur of the moment decisions. I’m sure you are aware, already of the caravan that was ransacked?”

“Caravans, Ragescar, caravans. The night elves were attacked as well if you’d remember. But don’t distract me from my purpose.” Subir lifted a paw and pointed to Durgen, “Surely, you’ve given this young orc the courtesy of the truth.”

Gurda sighed resignedly, “I think that it goes without saying that he is aware I am not what I claimed to be. If he doesn’t,” she looked at him, “Then he is much stupider than I thought.”

Feeling vindicated by Subir’s words, Durgen tilted his head in mock inquisitiveness, “Yes, Gurda, I thought you said you were a shaman in training. And here you’ve been lying to me this whole time?”

She frowned. Then raised her eyebrows, “Well, yes. Essentially, I am a shaman in training. I just neglected to mention how far along in that training I happen to be. If you must know, I am a powerful shaman. That is not boasting; it’s the truth. I didn’t lie to you out of malice. I was under very important instructions from the Warchief, himself.”

Durgen was now genuinely serious. “Wha- Thrall?” He shook his head, “But why did you have to conceal the truth from me? What does it matter what I know?”

“It looks like, if everything had occurred according to plan, you would still be in the dark,” Subir suggested.

Gurda nodded. Durgen’s expression darkened.

“Fine,” Gurda sighed again, “I’ll lay it out for you. Not everything, of course. But all that I feel it is fair for you to know.

“About four days ago now, I was sent to Splintertree from Orgrimmar. At the post I was supposed to be meeting Saranus, however, I found that he was out in the forest. Eventually, I found him at his camp near the road. I had just been able to explain myself to him when you arrived. We were short on time and hadn’t had enough to formulate a convincing story for myself.

“Saranus and I have known each other since the Third War and he improvised the shaman in training story to push my buttons. It was out of line and inappropriate, but I couldn’t argue with him… And he knew it,” she finished looking very irritated.

“That doesn’t explain why you were there to meet me though,” Durgen said.

“The truth is, Durgen, I don’t know much of it,” said Gurda, “What I do know, I absolutely must not tell anyone. I’m sorry Durgen, but I have to be loyal to my superiors. I can tell you, though; very important people seem to find you very important as well. I don’t really know why. Honestly, there didn’t seem to be much to you.”

A twinge of irritation cut through his mental numbness at this news. It showed on his face prompting Gurda to continue, “I decided, foolishly, to find out myself what was so special about you. I tried to teach you my magic. When you incinerated the sentry ward I was terrified. The energy you produced was immense. I feared any responsive spellcaster for miles would have noticed the ethereal ripples you created. It also reconciled you in my eyes. There was something to you.”

Durgen had no idea what to make of this. Ethereal ripples? he thought. His thoughts were interrupted by Subir, “And notice they did. Or I did. I felt it and immediately guessed what it was.” He addressed Durgen; “I spoke to you in your dreams. Don’t you remember?” Durgen nodded.

“You got into his mind?” Gurda was alarmed. “But that means… Anyone cou-.”

“Yes. Others could see his mind, Gurda,” Subir scratched his muzzle, “But I am confident, that like me, they were unable to read anything of pressing importance there. However, it was blindingly obvious that something important was there. Though it was concealed.”

“What is concealed?” said Durgen. He couldn’t think of anything in his mind more important that what he had eaten for breakfast yesterday. At least nothing at least a dozen other people who were more important than him didn’t know already.

“That seems to be the question of the day,” said Gurda. "I don’t think any of us know."

Last edited by Saranus on Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:41 am; edited 1 time in total
GermanGuestNowComfy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continues to be my favourite story on this page apart from the Murloc himself. Anyhow, I think the part where Gurda admits she is not what she claimed to be needs some smoothing. "not a shaman in training" but "a powerful shaman" just sounds...odd to me. I for example would have liked it better with only the part of "how far along in this training". Less boasting more mystery. Wink

And where's the next Update? Smile
Onokos

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Saranus is busy with WoM and real life. And it's nice to see someone with your seriousness going over the stories here.
"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do. What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of God, I will do." --Edward Everett Hale
Saranus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I just wanted to let everyone know that this story still exists. I know I've had a bad habit of promising new story only to flake out later, but this time I think it's for real.

I'm invested in the story. I've been thinking about it a lot and finally have a vision for the entire story. Before I was just writing one sentance at a time. Now I know where the story and the characters are going. Just wanted to let everyone know. Now that classes have finally ended for the semester and I have a pretty light load in the spring, I want to start updating fairly frequently.

Soon enough, I'm going to change my first post in this thread to be the Prologue. Laughing
Aidinthel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait for it.......*harp music plays in background*.....close enough.....anyway, we're all glad that the story will be starting back up soon. The curse is defeated once again!

I never nuked anything that didn't stop being an immediate problem.
Albatros
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

horray! that's a great feeling when it all comes together, isn't it? Smile
Exodus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was my favorite story of them all on this thing, although it's not closely tied with sabredruid's with that divine one coming a close second.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Albatros Bits Forum Index -> The Writers' Nest All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: