Albatros Bits

Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Orbital Geometry, re: The Moons of Az
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Albatros Bits Forum Index -> The Murloc is Lonely
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Dark Canuck

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordmurray wrote:
The Dark Canuck wrote:
Nice theory. I can, however, see one possible problem: Due to the increased distance of the orbit, the white planet must be travelling at a far higher velocity than Azeroth.

please tell me why that is not possible?? sure i said its big, that doesn't mean its density does not allow it to travel super fast, (density = weight = opposite to sun gravity, low dens = harder to pull away from other planets gravity)

Amaunator wrote:
Let magic explain vaguely what science would need have explained in detail .

or we could let the gnomes explain Surprised

Talked with my Physics-inclined friend today, the whole geosyncronous orbit concept won't work.
Here's the math.
Centripedal force = (mv^2)/r
Gravitational force = (G*m1*m2)/r^2
For the object to be in orbit, Fc = Fg
Thus, (m1v^2)/r = (G*m1*m2)/r^2
m1s cancel (thus making the mass/density of the white planetoid irrelevant to its orbit)
v^2/r = Gm2/r^2

The larger r is, the larger v must be, thus it is not possible for two objects to have geosyncronous orbits behind each other. I think we should stick with the idea that magic messes with physics (or that physics work differently in Warcraft).
(Please note that the math was done by me, based on arguments made a few hours ago. I might have missed something/done something incorrectly)

Edit: It was suggested that I should explain my variables-this is done here and probably should have been done originally. Sorry.
m1 is the mass of the white planetoid.
m2 is the mass of the sun or object which the planetoid is orbiting
G is the gravitational constant.
v is the velocity of the orbitting object
r is the radius, or the distance between the orbiting object and that which it is orbiting.
Fc is centripedal force
Fg is force of gravity
Gravity is dependant on mass of the relevant objects, and the distance between the objects.

Of course, this assumes that the same laws of physics apply, and has now been made moot point by Albatros.

Last edited by The Dark Canuck on Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
lordmurray

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so are you telling me that gravity works on size or density?? if size, please refreash my knowledge of how a black hole is suppose to work...

i'm taking it that m = mass of an object if so heres some good reading for you,

Density (symbol: ρ - Greek: rho) is a measure of mass per unit of volume. The higher an object's density, the higher its mass per volume. The average density of an object equals its total mass divided by its total volume. A denser object (such as iron) will have less volume than an equal mass of some less dense substance (such as water).

gravity is not size relevant its mass relevant, thus density is the key decider

a description of each variable would make you sound far more convincing also, spitting out straight equations does nothing
Amaunator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, it's that kind of rubbish I hate... Seeing how neither of you have all the qualification needed to make astronomical calculations (I'm sure you're smarter than me and more knowledgeable on the finer points of all the things you're saying, but I don't think any of the both of you actually know all the exceptions and specifics needed to eventually come to a conclusion), you'll be stuck in a vortex of equations Smile.

Let's just keep it to magic! :p
Albatros
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amaunator wrote:

I would like to jump in here and mention that in a reversal from my previous position, I now support keeping it to magic. the physics made my head hurt
Amaunator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albatros wrote:
Amaunator wrote:

I would like to jump in here and mention that in a reversal from my previous position, I now support keeping it to magic. the physics made my head hurt

*Claps hands.*

Good shot, jolly old chap!

Indeed, why not use the Blizzard-given blessings of Magic and Mystery? Smile
Nikolaus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree
lordmurray

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the white moon was created bye the titans to help them shape the world during the night,

the blue moon was hidden behind the white moon bye the dragons.They perceived the intense arcane ability it provided as a threat from the Elves (i say elves because i am talking ablut a time when the night elves and high elves were the same race). However the elves stricken of there arcane source turned to the wells which had for some reason maintained qualities of the blue moon (however much weaker) thus being named the moonwells. The dragons saw no threat bye the Elves using these much weaker sources of arcane power.

The book used bye hanathras to move the blue moon, was originally written bye the dragons and hidden away in the caverns of time later descovered bye a band of orcs under the sway of the scourge and translated into the black book. lady slyvannas was able to take the black book with here when she broke away from the scourge and was keeping it safe untill hanathras stole it...
Aidinthel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, that works. Now you people can stop losing sleep over such a trivial matter. Rolling Eyes

I never nuked anything that didn't stop being an immediate problem.
Exodus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus, where'd you find that, or is it just an uncannily fitting explanation you made up?
lordmurray

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exodus wrote:
or is it just an uncannily fitting explanation you made up?

umm yup Very Happy

its a magical explanation that sits right in my head althou any alterations from someone with a huge knoledge of WoW lore is more than welcome to make fun and indeath adjustments/versions of there own....

i like a good story!
Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albatros wrote:
To answer your question, Horse has no idea what the deal with the moons is at this point. I'll say this - there was a good reason that the blue moon had to go away for six hundred years, and now that it's back, it's going to be influencing things. Blue moon = powerful magic, basically. More to come. Wink

Basically, the blue moon is like the trio of moons in the Dragonlance Campeinge(sp) (Sorry Heloly) Setting. Each moom represents one of the three types of majic, Light (Good), Grey(Neutal) and Red (Evil), and as they wax and wain and hit their appexes, the magic does like wise? Cool!

Also, Long time Reader, first time poster. D&D references usually get me outta my lurking Smile *Once again dons lurking cloak*
Aidinthel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arn't there only the two moons in this story? Where did the third come from? Don't say Dragonlance because the Dragonlance moons are white(good), red(neutral), and black(evil).

Saranus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's only 2 moons. I'm pretty sure he was just drawing a comparison with another story. I think it's pretty much implied in the story now that the blue moon is strongly connected with Arcane magic. But it doesn't go through phases so there would be no way to tell if magic got stronger and weaker as it waxed and waned. I do wonder, though, whether magic is stronger at night and weaker during the day when the moon's not out.
Aidinthel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saranus wrote:
I'm pretty sure he was just drawing a comparison with another story.
There is a series of books called Dragonlance, in which there are three moons, one for each magical order. What confused me was that he didn't use the colors of the moons in the books, or in Murloc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Albatros Bits Forum Index -> The Murloc is Lonely All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: