Albatros Bits

Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Orbital Geometry, re: The Moons of Az
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Albatros Bits Forum Index -> The Murloc is Lonely
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exodus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea man, you could have like, a fishing village that got starved to death because they couldn't go out in their boats and fish or they'd drown. That's just my first thought though.
Albatros
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ulkarr wrote:
You could get away without saying anything about the size because you did say that a huge chunk of it got blasted away so the effect of it 'getting larger'is balanceed by its reduction in true size. But the tidal effect would be an excelent writing point. Just my 2 cents..... well more like 1..... oh well.

nah not much of it got blasted away - you're either thinking of the initial demon-fire-insanity barage which just laid down a few new craters (someone called them texas-sized? yeahhh man) or of the bit where Horse first sees the tiny sliver of the waxing moon for the first time. the white mother is pretty much intact.
Egann

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, I don't know if you really need to go back and change anything. For one thing, it's entirely possible that I left something important out of my little geekfest there. In fact, we've all pretty much negelected what effect the blue moon might have on the whole system.

Also, I'm not sure that the Lagrange points would be at the points indicated on the page linked above in this particular case. That analysis assumes (I think) that the mass of the satellite is negligible in comparison to the sun and planet--which is okay for man-made spacecraft, but certainly not the case for a moon of any size. (The earth's moon is about 1/6 the mass of the earth.)

Besides...maybe the moon was being artificially held in place, and the creepy light show in the sky just allowed it to return to its natural (retrograde geostationary) orbit.

Or, you know...something.
Nikolaus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought of something here sorry for necro-posting

This post is under the assumption that no magic is involved in the moons pahses and reflections of light and everything

What is causing the other moon to be blue where the old moon is white, that would imply that there is another scource of light
The Dark Canuck

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the second moon is made from blue rock, then the moon would appear blue with the same light source shining on it. Just like Mars appears red while our moon appears white even though the same light source (the sun) is applied to both. No magic or new sources of light are necessary.
Exodus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, even after all of this I still don't get why the moons split and what exactly it meant/effected.
Albatros
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gyar, I'm assuming the blue moon is blue because it's blue.

To answer your question, Horse has no idea what the deal with the moons is at this point. I'll say this - there was a good reason that the blue moon had to go away for six hundred years, and now that it's back, it's going to be influencing things. Blue moon = powerful magic, basically. More to come. Wink

The reason I originally made this thread was because the situation with the moons is just plain weird. I started with a situation created partially in jest - haha, always full moons! just like in the game! - and partially in laziness - I only feel like describing the white moon right now, so I'll make up a reason later on why the blue moon isn't around. I had figured out how a moon could always be full - it was positioned opposite the planet from the sun at all times. So that was easy. Then I had this thing where the blue moon was hiding behind it (again, positioned opposite the sun at all times), and so the best way I could think of to un-hide the blue moon, which currently in the game is always full, was to knock the white moon into geostationary orbit. Why couldn't I have just knocked them around and given them weird random orbits? Probably would have been smarter, but too late now. So by the time V'mras got loose and the blue moon reappeared, the situation with the moons was weird enough that I wanted to make sure people understood that the weird phases and all that weren't the cause of anything - they were the effect of other stuff. Maybe the fact that I thought it required a forum post to explain should have been a hint that I was doing it wrong... hmm... *scratches head and wanders off aimlessly*
Onokos

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albatros wrote:
Maybe the fact that I thought it required a forum post to explain should have been a hint that I was doing it wrong... hmm... *scratches head and wanders off aimlessly*

I'm more lost about this than ever, but if you say it will be explained later then I'll believe you. Don't let me down. Wink
"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do. What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of God, I will do." --Edward Everett Hale
Amaunator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I'll bet when all's done and dusted well figure out a meaning for them ourselves Very Happy.
Amaunator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the double post, but I had a very, very stupid idea Very Happy. Why is a moon full? Because it is always on the opposite side of a light source with the planet you're on being in the middle, not in the way of the moon's light.

Now, what could also be possible (very unlikely, though Wink), is that it's not just the sun that is radiant in our WoW universe, but also the planet itself! The moon could twist and turn all it wanted, it'd always be full. No need for geostationary rubbish Very Happy.

Maybe because of magic, maybe because of the NE's glowing eyes, who knows Wink.

So far the stupid theory. I'll keep you posted on when I will openly discard it again Very Happy.

Last edited by Amaunator on Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Albatros
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooh, I like.
lordmurray

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a personnal theory of what is taking place with the moons... if noone minds me saying (someone may have said this already but i'm in a small hurry) S = sun, W = white moon, B = blue moon, A = azeroth.

W B A S

azeroth is closest to the blue moon (i know that it has been said that the blue was behind the white... but that is just assumption(with holding anything albatros has said) but the immense power of the white moon makes it seem like it isn't there, in a bizzare conincidence all three A B W, are moving in a geo synchronas orbit around the sun keeping a perfect line, there could be no eclypse that may have occured, the ever full moon can be explained bye the white moon being a planet of its own but very far away and also being very big(like juipter) and the shere size of the white moon explains the drwoning of the blue.

hanathras attacked what we thought was the white moon but was actually hitting the blue moon infront of it

after the blue moon was slowed/speed up bye hanathras it upset the tides of the world to allow waters from the whirlpool to release a little more magic influencing water into the sea which in turn effects the entire world giving the illusion that the blue moon has increased the magic ability of all (but really hasn't) also the sudden waxing of the white moon can be helped explained bye the new movements of the blue moon casting shadows on the white moon while moving around azeroth (previously all 3 were in line but now the blue is moving around azeroth changing the strength of gravity, tides, light and magic)

this is just my theory and it sounds right in my head... i feel thou that my bubble will be burst on this Sad
The Dark Canuck

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice theory. I can, however, see one possible problem: Due to the increased distance of the orbit, the white planet must be travelling at a far higher velocity than Azeroth. While I'm not certain about how the physics work out for a situation like this, it does seem intuitively clear that the white planet would be both travelling faster (more force/momentum) while the force of gravity from the star would be lesser. This means that the planet should not be held in a stable orbit (I think), but would rather fly off away from the planet. Alternatively, the white planet would be in a stable orbit, but Azeroth would be travelling too slow to maintain orbit and would crash into the sun. Does anyone with more experience in physics have anything to add?
Amaunator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, that's why I had my own theory. I don't like geostationary babble :p. It's so 'bound' by Earth's physics and astronomy, heck, why don't make your own, this time based on magic, something no rules are known for Very Happy.

For the light-emiting part in my earlier post: let's just assume that when the magical Well was still wholly liquified, among its qualities was phosphorescence, magically induced phosphorescence, that is.
Given a rather sumptuous amount of energy stored in magic, we can assume that the decay of magic is small, if not infinitesimal. So, let's just assume that whatever light it drew in during its liquified state, it retained till the sundering, after which it was vaporised and spread across Azeroth, enshrouding it in magic, fleeting, gaseous magic! This gaseous, invisible magic, as invisible as air, slowly emits its energy. Because it is such a solid, small and light essence, it mostly rose to the edge of space, where the line between atmosphere and deep space is vague. Given its gaseous and more fleeting nature, it decays more rapidly than it would in a liquid state, however, not quickly enough to simply dissolve it. In this state of decay it emits the light, the energy, it drew in when liquid. Thus you have a magically incandescent planet. This might also partly explain certain changes in the colour of the skies in some regions of the world (take the NE parts of the world, like Ashenvale and Darnassus etc.).

Let magic explain vaguely what science would need have explained in detail Smile.

Now, about the fact that there are two moons: Jupiter has eleven I believe...

And about the difference in colour: different metallic composure of the moons?

Feel free to laugh at me Very Happy.

Heh... I think pseudo-science agrees with me...
lordmurray

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dark Canuck wrote:
Nice theory. I can, however, see one possible problem: Due to the increased distance of the orbit, the white planet must be travelling at a far higher velocity than Azeroth.

please tell me why that is not possible?? sure i said its big, that doesn't mean its density does not allow it to travel super fast, (density = weight = opposite to sun gravity, low dens = harder to pull away from other planets gravity)

Amaunator wrote:
Let magic explain vaguely what science would need have explained in detail .

or we could let the gnomes explain Surprised
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Albatros Bits Forum Index -> The Murloc is Lonely All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: