Albatros Bits

Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rampage - A Dakrim Adventure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Albatros Bits Forum Index -> The Writers' Nest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moorea

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Rampage - A Dakrim Adventure Reply with quote

Rampage – A Dakrim Adventure

Chapter 1: Stormy Ratchet Sojourn

The rain was really pouring down, pattering like thunder on the clay shingles of the roof. Occasional flashes of white and bluish light, immediately followed by a ground-shaking roar, showed through the windows that the storm was still very close to town. Only a handful of patrons were in The Broken Keel Tavern & Inn tonight, namely a few quiet human merchants, a pair of sour-looking old gnomes dressed in long flowing robes, a few noisy orcs at the far table, several goblins playing cards, and a solitary tauren sitting at the bar.

The bartender, a heavy-set goblin, kept glancing up from wiping his glasses. Throwing the towel over his shoulder, he took a few steps along the raised platform behind the bar towards the big humanoid.

“Hey, you big hairy ox, you want another drink?” he asked, slapping his hand down on the bar for extra emphasis.

The tauren looked up from his glass mug, his face wrinkled in aggravation.

“How many nights must I tell you? My name is Dakrim Thundershorn,” the tauren growled. He slapped the table in imitation of the bartender. “And furthermore,” his voice grew loud enough for everyone to hear. “I am not an ox!”

The goblin bartender clapped his hands together with glee. “Yeah, the ox speaks, everyone!” he proclaimed, giggling loudly.

The goblins at the card table howled with laughter. Their voices were high-pitched and shrill.

Dakrim exhaled loudly and tried to ignore their laughter. He learned the hard way over a week ago to not lose his temper here, no matter what anyone said or did. On their first day in town, a pair of humans had pointed at him and made slashing gestures at their necks. Dakrim had only just begun to loosen the buckles of the back harness carrying Shak’Tar when the local goblin “Bruisers” appeared out of nowhere. The four short, but heavily muscled goblins swiftly surrounded him, tapping their iron maces into the palms of their hands. One Bruiser told the tauren that if he drew his great battle-axe just once in anger, they would clap him in jail and throw away the key. The young warrior could tell that they knew what they were doing, just by their seasoned demeanor.

He looked at the bartender, giving him a fierce scowl. The young tauren took a deep breath to calm down. “Master Wiley, have you heard anything new about when ships will be able to leave?” he asked.

The goblin cocked his head, giving Dakrim an incredulous look. He yelled out something in the harsh-sounding goblin tongue. A goblin sitting at the card table, his ears pierced with gold-encrusted sparkling sapphire gemstones, answered back with an obvious tone.

The bartender grinned toothily at Dakrim. “Looks like yer gonna have to wait more for that ship, ox. Ain’t no vessels around in a storm like this,” he answered. He used the towel to wipe up a few wet spots.

Dakrim groaned. How can a storm last so long, he wondered. Day after day and night after night, he’d come sit at the pub and listen for any news of incoming or outgoing ships. So far, nothing. When she last came to visit him the day before, Sabinnia had chided him to be more patient, as this time of the year was frequently plagued by severe storms. Hot air from the burning sands of Durotar would collide with the cool air billowing off The Great Sea. No, there was nothing to do but wait. That was easy for Sabinnia, the young tauren moaned inwardly. She didn’t have to stay in this rat-infested hole, but was quite comfortable in the warm home of Fuzzlewick, Ratchet’s resident healer, spending her days and nights studying herbs and healing magic. There wasn’t room enough for him in that small cabin. Of course she offered to stay in the inn too, but Dakrim had decided that she would be happier studying, rather than doing nothing like himself in the inn. So he urged her to stay there. At first he didn’t mind. The Broken Keel was a beehive of activity, even during stormy weather like this. It was interesting to see so many different races mingling together without having to worry about being attacked. But now he was getting bored and restless.

Dakrim turned and looked at the small group of orcs. They were competing over who could drink the most and judging from the amount of empty mugs nearby, he reckoned that the three of them had already consumed more than all of the other customers combined. His eyes wandered over the other groups of humanoids. Everyone seemed to stay with their own kind in this place, he observed. It wasn’t easy at first to resist the urge to attack the humans and gnomes. He had witnessed first hand their cruelty and inhumanness in the past. Those night elves too, he thought, shivering despite the warmth inside. He was glad that he had not seen any of them. But here in Ratchet the goblins ruthlessly enforced their own rules. And their number one rule was – no fighting inside their territory. He had heard the other day that the Bruisers wouldn’t stop any fighting as long as it was outside of the town, but if you dared to raise a finger inside their limits, they would respond violently.

One of the green-skinned orcs slipped from his chair, crashing down to the floor in a drunken stupor. The other long-fanged orcs laughed heartedly.

Dakrim shook his shaggy head in disgust, hoping that he would never put on such an embarrassing display. He nursed his fourth drink for that evening a bit more, now almost to the bottom, as he let his mind wander. It didn’t take long before his friend Lanka Farshot appeared in his mind’s eye. Not for the first time he wondered again what was he doing here? After spending several seasons with the hunter and Sabinnia, traveling together all over The Barrens, why did he and the troll healer leave? The answer eluded his drowsy brain but for a moment – Lanka was ready to move further south into the land of the many red stone canyons, but Sabinnia was not. She expressed a desire to return to her home on the Eastern coast of Durotar. The healer had made it clear that Dakrim was free to go on hunting with his friend, but something pulled him with her instead. Lanka seemed to understand and gave them both his blessing. Dakrim remembered standing in the middle of the trail, watching his friend swiftly running away. It was a sad memory, despite Lanka’s assurance that they would indeed meet again someday. If their journeys brought them southward again, Lanka told them that he would reside with some friends near the great salt flats for a few seasons, so they could always look for him there. Coming to Ratchet was Sabinnia’s idea. She was sure that they could take passage on a ship outbound for the distant continent of the Eastern Kingdoms. Those ships often stopped in the troll village of Sen’Jin to take on supplies before attempting to cross the ocean, so taking a boat would save them weeks of traveling over dangerous territory. They had been stuck there in Ratchet with this foul weather ever since.

The warrior drained the last dregs of his ale. He pushed the mug down the wooden bar top where the quick goblin snatched it up with a flourish. He took a step towards the hallway leading towards the sleeping quarters when he noticed a loose buckle on his shoulder strap for Shak’Tar, his semi-sentient great battle-axe.

No my friend, he thought. I shan’t let you fall, he continued. Dakrim was adjusting the collar buckle when the outer door to the inn abruptly opened.

Two figures entered, completely covered in long black cloaks. Water dribbled, pooled into the cracks of the cobblestone floor. The twin figures slowly looked about the room, faces hidden in the shadows of their hoods.

Dakrim felt the hair on the back of his neck rise when their gaze seemed to settle on him.
Amaunator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good, we're seeing more from Dakrim! Very Happy

Let's start at the beginning: I love how you totally typified every race at the start of the story: boisterous orcs, gambling goblins and a solitary tauren Very Happy. Do be careful though: this can tend to stereotypification soon and will take all the spice out of your story! I never really noticed it in the original Dakrim story, where the dishonest tauren, the loving troll and the scared centaur took away my fancy for disassociation Wink, so I think it's more a problem of this story (or it could come to be. I'm just IBTL, so to speak Wink).

It was interesting to see so many different races mingling together without having to worry about being attacked. But now he was getting bored and restless.
--> Don't you rather mean "It had been interesting to see..., but now he was getting bored..."?

Hmm, interesting opening. How long will you make this story? Smile And I do wonder why you have Dakrim think of Sabinnia so coolly? Didn't they have a very friendly relationship? I think he'd think of her more as 'Sabinnia' than as 'the troll healer', n'est-ce pas?
may drop your heart may heal

feelings of love you love
fluttering hearts you hate
revealing souls you love
breaking spirits you hate that

the sun...
Moorea

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhhhh questions, questions, I love it:) Yes, I'm finally ready to see some more of Dakrim myself.

I'll try to answer without giving away my plot. I've spent a lot of time on this plot, so I will say that everything that happens does happen for a reason. So, like if Dakrim is being a bit cool towards Sabinnia, is there any reason you can think of? Is that enough of a hint? But don't worry, everything will be answered in time:) Though the obvious answer may not be the correct one!

Yes, I made the scene at the tavern like a stereotypical scene that you'd expect because to me, that's the epitome of Ratchet. I love this town. I can't really explain why other than I see it as a place that is just chock full of possibilities for stories. I'll never forget the first time I discovered Ratchet on my warrior (named Moorea!), about 4 years ago. I hope none of you mind as I will be taking a little creative license to adapt a few things around this place.

This whole episode will not be as long as the original story, but I'm hoping it will please all of you with the storyline. I've already sketched out the entire story. Taking some time off and writing something else, like the SNAPSHOTS, has done something to me...like lighting a fire under my rear or something similar. All I want to do lately is write, write, write!

I wonder if Alby could do the same...take a break, write something else for a while. Eventually, the urge to pick up Horse again will hopefully come.
Amaunator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moorea wrote:
I wonder if Alby could do the same...take a break, write something else for a while. Eventually, the urge to pick up Horse again will hopefully come.

We're all hoping against hope Very Happy, Moorea. Every possible finger crossed, so to speak Razz.

And I won't speculate. I'll rather have you tell us the story Wink. Most questions I have are rhetorical anyway Wink. Besides, it may have been a bit too early to conclude anything. In your own time, do continue Smile.

revealing souls you love

the sun...
Moorea

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry Amaunator, this board isn't going to die...seems like this is just a busy time for everyone.

I've been bashing my brains out on my master's dissertation. I'll turn in some of the work tonight and have a breather for the next few months. During that time I fully plan on returning to writing with a vengeance!

I'll read your story tomorrow:)
Amaunator

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moorea wrote:
Don't worry Amaunator, this board isn't going to die...seems like this is just a busy time for everyone.

I've been bashing my brains out on my master's dissertation. I'll turn in some of the work tonight and have a breather for the next few months. During that time I fully plan on returning to writing with a vengeance!

I'll read your story tomorrow:)

*Kowtows!*

revealing souls you love

the sun...
Moorea

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry everyone, the day I last wrote that message that I was turning in some parts of my dissertation, I was told as I left school that day that they would NOT be renewing my contract. So, since then I have been frantically updating my resume and sending it off to different schools, going for interviews, etc. That's just half, my dissertation proposal was composed in thinking that I'd be at the same school for at least another two years....now, my whole dissertation proposal can be chucked in the trash and I have to start all over. Well, I have to start over once I find a new school that is...b/c I have to design a new proposal after I see what my new school will be like. Sounds convoluted, no? Yah, sure it is.

Anyways, all that means that I have not had anytime to write. Still, I plan on writing once I secure a new teaching position, but until then, I probably won't get much done....my mind is too distracted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Albatros Bits Forum Index -> The Writers' Nest All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: