Albatros Bits

Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3/23/2008 - Quality vs. Quantity
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Albatros
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: 3/23/2008 - Quality vs. Quantity Reply with quote

Hi folks... I've got a free Sunday afternoon... I'm rereading the last few chapters in preparation for doing some writing, and something's just occurred to me that I think it might help if I vocalize, so here goes.

Somehow, going back and rocking the rewrite has slowed me down substantially in writing new stuff. There are parts of the rewrite - nuances of character and plot that I added with the perspective I'd gained from writing it all once already - which I'm really proud of, stuff that I really enjoy. I think I've set myself a high standard, one that's extraordinarily difficult to achieve on the first draft of anything. I've been having a lot of trouble writing lately, and I think that this is why: I've been letting failure to meet my own high standard get in the way of writing anything.

That sucks, because I don't want to deliver anything sub-par to you guys. But on the other hand, my output has been flagging, and it's become a struggle to write instead of a joy. I think need to lower my own expectations for how good my writing is going to be for a while, and just schedule myself another rewrite at the end of Book Two. What do you guys think?
Amaunator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's the only way to go forward from here, Alb. You're purposefully lowering your standards, which doesn't mean you're diminishing your skill. And who knows, at the end you might reread parts of what you considered sub-par and see that, overall, you struck a pretty good balance between quality and quantity. The cure is just to write and see where the pen takes you? Smile
may drop your heart may heal

feelings of love you love
fluttering hearts you hate
revealing souls you love
breaking spirits you hate that

the sun...
Alec

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no doubt that even if you sacrifice quality for quantity, I'll still love it.
Keltor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, funny, I've felt the same thing, although in my case I haven't been struggling to write, it has just been taking me longer. I understand the fear. My inclination would be this, pump out a first draft of each chapter. Don't worry about its quality. Sit on it for a day or so, go back and retool it. Maybe, if you want send it off to someone you trust to edit it. then put it out. Let the first draft suck, fix it in the second than let us decide. I would worry about intentionally lowering your standards, because your writing has never been better than it has been recently, even if it is slower. But I think by letting your guard down for a first draft, you may find yourself able to write as well, but faster.

Then again, I come at this from a writers standpoint, and not that of your average reader. Ultimately it is your choice.
drakedragon92

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at it this way, if you write something, we can help give u idea, otherwise ur trying to write a book all by urself, most authors usually get help from their families/friends, uve got us Very Happy
Aidinthel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you have those guys. I'll just sit here making nonspecific negative comments without explaining anything.

I never nuked anything that didn't stop being an immediate problem.
Amaunator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drakedragon92 wrote:
Look at it this way, if you write something, we can help give u idea, otherwise ur trying to write a book all by urself, most authors usually get help from their families/friends, uve got us Very Happy

I don't know how influential family/friends is to writing a book... The author still has to write the thing by himself. Family can help to provide inspiration for characters and they can be a tremendous emotional support in stressy situations. Friends can also support, but other than being able to provde for background information that would take the author weeks to compile for himself, I don't think they can do much (which isn't to say the previous isn't a lot already, but I still consider the writing itself the biggest slice).

The only thing that could help Alb is co-writership, but I wouldn't recommend it... The entire idea of TMiL rests completely in his mind and having to explain it to someone else first would not save him time and afterwards having to reread what someone else wrote might be equally tiresome/futile...

I still recommend keeping it solely in your hands, but loosening the reins a little, giving you some room to move too! Smile

revealing souls you love

the sun...
drakedragon92

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah u misunderstand me, by give hiom ideas i dont mean for the book tiself, i mean that most writers have family/friends who read what they wrote, give criticism, etc, hence what we would do, give him ideas for bettering the book, not the content Very Happy
Amaunator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drakedragon92 wrote:
ah u misunderstand me, by give hiom ideas i dont mean for the book tiself, i mean that most writers have family/friends who read what they wrote, give criticism, etc, hence what we would do, give him ideas for bettering the book, not the content Very Happy

Oh yeah, they can reread it too ^^. Noted and agreed :p.

revealing souls you love

the sun...
Exodus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tip: Professional editors are hella expensive.
Bronzehand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: I concur Reply with quote

Well, since the first chapters of TMiL I have followed the story eagerly, and so far have been content to lurk silently. However, I feel the time has come to chime in.

While I love the quality and nuance of the story, and definitely of the rewrite, from the depth of the characters to the masterful integration of lore, I think you're selling yourself short if you think your first round was sub-par. I vote for the solid quality you gave the first chapters before the rewrite, and another rewrite when that time comes. While I appreciate the value of building anticipation, the tension is killing me here... Smile
chromus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I am signed up for notifications and I check the site everyday, looking for the next chapter (or even a part thereof).

Does this make me obsessed / deranged fan / stalker?

WTB more TMiL.
Alec

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does, welcome to the club.
Amaunator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it's the daily routine here... I've come to miss my RSS feeds from this story and I was majorly thrilled (I nearly had to run for the bathroom!! (that's a non-prudent joke for the non-prude Wink) when I saw that this thread was posted.

And I do agree with our currently out of lurking Bronzehand (welcome! Very Happy And the same for Chromus Smile. Join the club of merry obsessed fans): the story before the rewrite was very good in its own right too. And like I said: with all the experience you gained, anything you write from here on (provided you keep flexing those typing plumes) will be of a far better base quality than the first book Smile. And should it not sit well with you when the second book is done and dusted, then you can always go back and we'll be happy to reread the rewrite Smile.

Besides, even what you have written already for book 2 will at some point in the future be something you want to rewrite too, however well you made it now... Smile

revealing souls you love

the sun...
GermanGuestNowComfy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shortly returning from my entry-into-the-world-of -the-working-people-imposed silence (furthered by the fact, that in the process I changed my country of residence from Germany to Costa Rica), I can only agree to what¨s already been said: Even the first version of The Murloc was high-quality writing, so don't hold back for exaggerated perfectionism. Even more: I myself found it highly interesting having a chance to peek in on the process of development the story has taken in your head via the rewrite of book 1. And finally: whatever decision you take, don't put yourself under too much pressure, as that is the surest way to block most creative processes.

In short:
1) Throw us what you got, even if you still feel it a little rough around the edges.
2) Have fun with the Murloc! We sure do! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Albatros Bits Forum Index -> Front Page News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: