Albatros Bits

Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

:(
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aidinthel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michellethemit wrote:
I used to write fanfiction for Transformers Armada on fanfiction.net (you can stop laughing now)
No. Just try and make me.

I never nuked anything that didn't stop being an immediate problem.
Samej

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though "The Murloc is Lonely" never appealed to me and thus I never read it beyond the 2nd page, I must say this is a most sorrowful dilemma. I'm very understanding in the guilt processes of giving up on a work (although I've gotten used to ignoring them), and I must say that my experience pales in comparison to the surrender of your writing faculties for the sake of the grand opus of The Murloc...

I like this forum as a gathering of writers, and thus it was not usual that I thought at all about the Albatros tying it all together. I hope you will keep this forum around as a forum for the writers who still write. As for the emotions, don't feel bad, you don't owe me anything.

Very Happy

Samej Arkanus-Poet, Scholar, Archmage
michellethemit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aidinthel wrote:
michellethemit wrote:
I used to write fanfiction for Transformers Armada on fanfiction.net (you can stop laughing now)
No. Just try and make me.

I have one thing to say to you:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/michellethemit/WoWScrnShot_020109_160357.jpg
drakedragon92

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think if someone goes through the trouble and obtains blizzard permissions/publishing rights you should publish the first book. Very Happy
Theres a slim chance we might get lucky, and you might get paid.
In addition, you never know, maybe Richard Knaak will pick it up and say "man I wish the second book was finished, I think ill finish it myself"
not that it would ever be as good as the first book and a half, but hey C:
Albatros
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean to be honest, the love started fading when I gave a copy of book one to metzen and never heard back. That was hard. I don't know but what it would all come back if Blizz took an interest. Even if it didn't, it would be sweet to get published (and get an editor in there to fix all my typos), so Drake knock yerself out. =)
Albatros
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys a lot, you all mean a lot to me. I'm enormously proud of this little haven of people being nice to each other and speaking in complete sentences here on the internet.

I'll be putting some time into round one of plot-writing this long weekend.
Tellur

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, long time no read!

Like so many of you others I stumbled onto this story way back in 2005 and since then this page has kept a special place in my collection of web-art (comics and stuff). It was the first of many in said collection but it isn't the first to come to such a sad end. But in a way it hurts most.

On the bright side (I can't help myself to always see one):
On rare occasions a project continues even after a long time of hiatus, so I'm not giving up hope - no way Wink
Plus we get the plot! Maybe we all together can do a little group-project? That would be awesome!
Or maybe we can spamattack Metzen till he finally reviews this masterpiece of creative writing! Laughing Wink

Yours,
Tellur
Amaunator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I still can't get over the novelty of putting the Warcraft Lore into the future Very Happy. I still think that's one of the most brilliant things about this story Very Happy (well, the finish to it and the polish must have helped it shine Wink)!

And you can bet your ass I'll still do something when I have knowledge of that plot Wink (not that I'm intent on any kind of copyright infringement of course! I believe in small-time karma and I wouldn't want to be on the other end of thát stick!). Sadly one must be humble in the face of history and say that anything I could do would be in a totally different atmosphere and have all different themes Rolling Eyes.

Besides, as for Metzen not picking it up: even if the book had even the least bit of roughness to it when you handed it to him, he must have seen that it held promise. What probably turned him off or made it impossible for him to comment on it openly is that your story, Alb, is of course entirely non-cannon Razz. When Blizzard decides to back (professional) authors, the make sure those authors adhere to the canon and I'm sure Metzen holds a strict oversight. I think that, for reasons of consistency they can't do anything to back you financially other than by sending people your way every year and make your advertisements sites' hits boom Very Happy.
may drop your heart may heal

feelings of love you love
fluttering hearts you hate
revealing souls you love
breaking spirits you hate that

the sun...
Albatros
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most likely he just never got around to reading it. He's a busy guy.
Exodus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He could've read it in secret and decided to steal your ideas. Look for them in up-coming Blizzard games.
mortarman178

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you its funny i was thinking the same thing..i mean after a while you need fresh ideas for the fan and were is a better source of than a fan them self. So hey let keep an eye out for some of the ideas the Alb had in any of the upcoming events in wow

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."

"A hero is born among a hundred, a wise man is found among a thousand, but an accomplished one might not be found even among a hundred thousand men."
Plato
GermanGuestNowComfy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, the Murloc was the last thing somehow connecting me to WoW, and even though this guest became a rare one on these forums a long time ago (which doesn't mean he got less comfy), I sure as hell loved it.

Nonetheless, I long ago stopped viewing it as fan fiction, but as an independent piece of art, which fascinated me all by its own, and that's probably the greates praise I can give to a fan fiction novel.

But every piece art it lives of the passion put into it, and if your passion for it is gone, it's not a break of trus to let it go, but in fact the only way of not betraying its very core. I must also admit that I think your loss of "the flow" somehow shone through at least a little bit in the last story postings. In summary, I think your decision is tough but it's the right one. Still hurts, though. A lot.

But, who knows, perhaps in a few years or so you'll stumble upon an old pile of paper, some unfinished story parts, pick them up, and get the glow back in your eyes. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would do a little happy dance if the rumor got out: "The Murloc is back!"

And on a sidenote, to lighten this slightly gloomy thread up a little: I got married two weeks ago, and I love it even more then the Murloc. Very Happy

Fly your way, big bird, and may your flight be as smooth as possible in the case of an Albatros.
Heloly

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GermanGuestNowComfy wrote:
And on a sidenote, to lighten this slightly gloomy thread up a little: I got married two weeks ago, and I love it even more then the Murloc. Very Happy

Congratulations dude! It's nice to have a brightspot in a dark, TMiL-free world.
mortarman178

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah that is a big gratz well come to worldof the old ball and chain lol

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."

"A hero is born among a hundred, a wise man is found among a thousand, but an accomplished one might not be found even among a hundred thousand men."
Plato
Tellur

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grml... post gone - here I go again!

So, I just saw this on my D3 comunity-page of choice:
http://www.blizzard.com/us/inblizz/contests/writing/index.html

In short, it's a creative writing contest organized by blizzard, which requires you to write a 3000 to 10,000 words story based on either one of the blizzard-universes.

I think the Orcmar-shorts or the begining of TMIL should qualify, since they are essentialliy based on warcraft in a what-will-happen-in-a-few-hundrets-of-years?-style

So Albatros, if you ever wanted a Frostmourne-replica or a trip to Blizz-HQ - GO FOR IT!

Contest ends somewhen in the middle of April (12. I think)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Albatros Bits Forum Index -> Front Page News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: