Albatros Bits

Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A story I wrote a while ago

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheTooth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: A story I wrote a while ago Reply with quote

Hey everyone.

Back in WoW Beta, I was in a guild with some friends of mine. We were all Night Elf Druids, and we named our guild the Thundercats. On one of our first adventures, I decided to chronicle our events. Some of you may have read this already, but for those of you who haven't, here it is.

Please let me know what you think of it!

The Furbolgs

The fog was rolling into the quiet coastal town of Auberdine nestled in the Dark Shore. Merchants were peddling their last wares and preparing to go home for the night. The forest's symphony was in full swing, with the Furbolgs, Moonstalkers, and Bears all singing their parts. Down the coast the Naga could be seen retreating to the sea. The night was peaceful.

All of a sudden a Sentinel came running into town, screaming for help. Her tunic was torn and her glaive was bloody. After Lynxo, a founding officer of the ThunderCats guild, managed to calm her down, she explained what had happened. Her group was on their way back from a long campaign near Astranar when they were ambushed by furbolgs. Furbolgs were usually peaceful towards the Night Elves. She said they stood no chance as the furbolgs were blood crazed and the Sentinels were tired from their long journey home. The only Sentinel to escape managed to meld into the shadows and slip away and she barely made it to town.

After Lynxo brought the Sentinel to the Inn, he called on his guild to put the crazed furbolgs to rest. Panthro was the first to answer his call, as did young Tygra and I. Panthro is a grizzled vet that spends most of his time with the bears in the forest, and due to this he sometimes has a tough time remembering he is a Night Elf. Lynxo is a wise Druid skilled in the ways of the hunt and nature's healing magic. I am going the way of the Bear following Panthro's lead, but I have a firmer grasp on my Night Elf side, for now. Tygra, the youngest of us, is a well balanced fighter who has not found his niche yet.

When Lynxo had briefly told us the Sentinel's tale, we set out. We knew of a furbolg camp near town and headed there first. The camp was filled with furbolgs and an overpowering smell. There was blood glistening off the logs and pooling about the camp. I loosened my knife in itís sheathe, Lynxo and Panthro readied their staves. Tygra asked the power of nature to protect us and thorns sprouted from our armor. The furbolgs were sitting around a fire, roasting something on a spit. Tygra made out the shape of a Night Elf torso! We charged into the camp and caught the furbolgs by surprise. Panthro and I assumed the shape of bears and started clawing and snapping at anything with fur. Tygra stood back tossed spell after spell into the fray while Lynxo kept us healed.

The battle was bloody and tiring but thankfully short. As the last furbolg fell, he muttered thanks with his dying breathe for releasing him from the craziness that took his camp. We tended to our wounds and gathered the bodies of the fallen furbolg into a pile to be given back to the forest. We then gave the corpse of the Night Elves a proper burial. After the camp was cleaned up, we all gathered around the small fire and gave into the beast which calls to all druids. We were saddened at the death we had caused but proud and full of vigor over our victory. Much would have to be discussed about the cause of the furbolgs attack, but that would come later. For that moment we all decided to enjoy the symphony of the night as we drifted to sleep.

WileyKit
Guild Master of ThunderCats
Nev

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good story! It reminds me of a diary entry.

Actually, that might be a neat way to go with this! Make them like diary enteries, not neccessarily from the same characters, but from different characters and stories (especially if you have some other ideas brewing). Kinda like a collection of short stories. Smile
Gan Xingba

Location: Why do you wanna' know? You lookin' to start somethin'?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't...resist...temptation...

This story gives me sight beyond sight! HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Seriously, though, its a well written piece. I think Nev has a great idea, it would work spectacularly as a diary entry.
Albatros
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was fun. not to criticize your game on your first day here... but, your story gives that quest a true sense of immediacy, of uniqueness, I guess most especially of non-stasis, that is the single missing element in WoW for me. Caydiem has engaged in endless and - I think - fairly melancholy debate on the wow forums over this very thing, and how it's near impossible in a game as popular as wow, but I still miss it dearly - so thanks for making a static quest that I've done, you know, six times, come to life a little.

hmm... maybe I'll dedicate a thread somewhere to the active narration of quests we've all run way too many times...

oh, and, official Albatros Bits welcome to The Tooth, long may he.... murgl... dude, do you ever get tired of murloc jokes?
Amaunator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was really vivid! I want to see you sweet-talk a 'gather' quest Very Happy.

I noticed though that you used 'Astranar'. You murlocs sure spell weirdly ... Wink
Karmwarrior

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a really cool piece of writing! Nev's idea of diary entries is a great one, you should consider doing that....but anyways, good job! I like it Very Happy
TheTooth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albatros, it is good to be here! You know that I have always been a fan of your work, even if there wasn't a certain character with star qualities in your story Razz That story was a lot of fun to write, and the guild got a kick out of it. I started writing more, because the Thunder Cats allowed a Human into the guild, and that was a big event for them. He controlled the Arcane arts, and could not shape shift. I want to go back and finish it at some point, but I will post it here for any critiques and edits you can offer. To answer your other question, no, I don't get tired of Murloc jokes. I make them myself when ever If eel they are needed!

Amaunator, spelling was never one of my strong points, either in Murloc or in English Sad Without spell check, I doubt anything I typed would be legible. I will have to write up a gather quest, that would be fun! I have an Orc Warrior in the Barrens now, who has just been charged with gathering 60 Quilboar tusks, I think something can be done with that...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O_o ooo sounds cool! can't wait Smile
Amaunator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go you Very Happy. Hope to see you back again, soon! :p

We can always fix spelling, I'm already glad you got a good feel for narrating Smile!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Albatros Bits Forum Index -> Manuscripts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: