Albatros Bits

Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An Illustrated Travelogue
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Albatros Bits Forum Index -> The Writers' Nest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
destron

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject: An Illustrated Travelogue Reply with quote

Hello! I've been working on an illustrated travelogue of the World of Warcraft. Essentially, it is a first-person account of a Forsaken mage as he explores the world. This mage (Destron) has not decayed badly, so with a disguise he can pass for a sickly-looking human. This enables him to explore both Alliance and Horde territories.

Much of the travelogue deals with my own conjectures about the cultures in Warcraft. I try to avoid contradicting canon. However much of the travelogue deals with issues that have never been explored in the actual game. For instance, I write about the differences between night elf and goblin literature, the economy of Andorhal during the Second War, obscure heresies of the Holy Light, among other things.

Here is the link to the travelogue:

http://destron.blogspot.com/2007/10/introduction.html

Please tell me what you think! Also, while there is a chronological order to the travelogue, you can basically read it in any order without missing too much. It's best to read it from beginning to end, but the travelogue is quite long, and I understand that not everyone would have the time or inclination to go through the entire thing just to reach one zone.

This is still a work-in-progress, and I'll get around to covering the rest of Kalimdor, Azuremyst, Quel'thalas, Northrend, and whatever comes after that.

Thank you!

Note: I wanted to let everyone know that you don't have to read the entire travelogue from beginning to end. I know it's a very long work, so if you're just curious about one or two zones, you can skip straight ahead and read what you want. There might be a little bit of confusion, but I think it will generally be comprehensible.

Last edited by destron on Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Heloly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums. Give me reason to believe you aren't an adbot please.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heloly wrote:
Welcome to the forums. Give me reason to believe you aren't an adbot please.

Is a reply sufficient reason?
Farsider

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo! These are fantastic bits of fan-fic. I've only completely read the first, but it was a real treat. Your knowledge of lore is refreshing and comprehensive, and you also wrote (and wrote with very few grammatical or spelling errors!) in an entertaining, flowing style. Typically, it's pretty easy to tell in fan-fiction when one is using established lore and when one is making their own stories or putting their own spin on things. There were times when I couldn't tell whether you were using canonical lore or filling in the blanks. There were also plenty of instances where I thought that your histories should be added as the official backstory for a lot of these places.

Love the pictures, too. They really make it all work together. If the rest are even half as long as the first installment, then cheers and congrats on all the work and all the pages that you've put into this. I'm really eager to keep reading, and I can't wait to get to some of my favorite regions (although I'm trying my best not to skip ahead)

Do you have a web page or host for these? If not, I think it would be cool if you got some kind of homepage with an overview of what the travelogues are, with links to each chapter/installment.

I'll comment more later, I want to keep reading for now Wink

EDIT: Feel like doing a bit of a running commentary here as I go along:

I love the dimorphism that you describe in the relationship between nobles vs. peasants and living vs. undead. The psyche of the Forsaken is a favorite subject of mine as far as WC is concerned. It's great getting to see someone else's very extensively cataloged take on it.

Your descriptions of the various states of decomposition and injuries that the Forsaken sport are equal parts entertaining, humerus, disgusting, and intriguing. This is one part that doesn't really get touched on in Lore, and can't really be explored in WoW, but it's all very sensical and adds flavor and a sense of immersion to your travelogues.

The priest in Deathknell who spends his time shouting curses made me chuckle. Lyza, the rose-eye girl, has become my new mental image of what I'd think the average Forsaken citizen would be like. Great term here, "Summerdead". Cheers again on coining it.

Ooh, a bit of pseudo-inter-racial tension among the Forsaken (couldn't think of a better way to describe it. Rotters vs. Winterdead vs. Stitches etc.) That's a curious thought. The whole Forsaken 'Party' was one of my favorite parts so far. The finale was great; lots of subtle undertones there give the first real good reasons I've seen for the Forsaken morbid disposition towards the right to life of other races. Maybe it's just the late hour, but I really think that these should be made canon. The travelogues are better than a lot of the 'official' short stories we get on the Blizz site, and more respectful of established lore, too!

Oops...Section 2, Page 13, Paragraph 2: Sudden jarring change of tense here...I think this might have been an error?

Silverpine: Gotta be the most over-looked area in all of Warcraft. Your descriptions of it pre-Scourge seem spot-on to what it would be like (I get a feeling that you're somewhat studied in cultural anthopology or some related field by this point...if not, then you've got a natural talent for extracting characteristics of geography and cultural sensibilities)

Im finding myself getting mixed up in the Silverpine sections. Hadrec and Hadrius are such similar-sounding names, lends to some confusion.

Unannounced guests arrived here at 2am, and just left two hours later, so I'm going to have to pause for another day.

Maybe I'm being overly-enthusiastic because I like this style of writing, and I tend to prefer exposition to action or internal monologuing, but I'm a big fan of these travelogues.

Last edited by Farsider on Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:05 am; edited 1 time in total
destron

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! It's been a lot of fun making these.

And my apologies if I came off sounding like a spam bot. My introductions can be a bit stilted at times.
Giovanni

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was a very good idea on your part, congrats on making some rly cool stuff.

P.S: all the links weren't rly necessary theres like this skip-clicky thing on the first page =P

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Destron~

I gotta agree with Farsider's comments. At first when I read what he wrote, I thought he might be exaggerating just a bit, but I was very pleasantly suprised at how well these are done. Great idea, reads smoothly and the pictures add a sweet element. Great job on a such a new concept!
Heloly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S'good enough for me. Great job on your writing. It flows really well. Sorry for suspecting you of being an adbot, but you didn't introduce yourself and we have very similar ones.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heloly wrote:
S'good enough for me. Great job on your writing. It flows really well. Sorry for suspecting you of being an adbot, but you didn't introduce yourself and we have very similar ones.

No harm done. I've seen forums get flooded with spam and adbots before, so I completely understand the need for security.

I really appreciate the running commentary Farsider. These things are an immense joy for me to read. I'm also happy that you marked down errors in tense. Sorry about the similarity with Hadrec/Hadrius. As for my anthropology background: I took two anthro classes back in college, but I also read some anthropology books on my own. These books tended to be pretty basic; anthro for beginners, basically. My major was in history though, which overlaps a bit with anthropology.

One issue that makes it a bit tricky to edit the travelogue when someone finds mistakes, is the fact that I have to send the PDF to the maintainer of feathermoon.net. She's quite busy in RL, and I hate bothering her to upload the files. Still, it's good to have a list of errors, and I'll get around to fixing them one way or another.

Thank you again!
Amaunator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could point you to a good set of detail errors in there, but I'm too tired to go back now and pick them all out ^^. Besides, apart from the occasional tense swerving and the elusive ellipsis/anacoluthon it's really well written.

And, you know, as soon as I saw Farsider commenting I knew it must have been good, and it was Very Happy. I haven't read further than a small part of WPL, but I'll get round to it Smile.

Would you like me to keep track of the tiny errors as I go along from there maybe?
may drop your heart may heal

feelings of love you love
fluttering hearts you hate
revealing souls you love
breaking spirits you hate that

the sun...
destron

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, that'd be much appreciated.
destron

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farsider, are you going to continue the commentary? I quite liked reading it.
Amaunator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure he, as I am Very Happy, is kept away by life's tedious chores Smile.

Don't worry. We all take our time in reading something (the way one should read Wink). You're not forgotten Wink.
may drop your heart may heal

feelings of love you love
fluttering hearts you hate
revealing souls you love
breaking spirits you hate that

the sun...
Farsider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll definitely be continuing. Just got a bit crunched for time lately. I did sneak a couple peeks and I'm up to Loch Modan now, but I'll resume the commentary soon.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things have been pretty busy for me too, so I can understand. I look forward to seeing it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Albatros Bits Forum Index -> The Writers' Nest All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 1 of 30

Jump to: