Albatros Bits

Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Power Overwhelming
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Albatros Bits Forum Index -> The Writers' Nest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samej

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Power Overwhelming Reply with quote

On July 3rd, at 4:30pm i had just finished the story i would enter for Blizzcon and was going to email it over to Albatros. Unfortunately a Thunderstorm sent a surge of electricity through my computer and it almost caught fire. I had to wait 2 days before I could get back on it. So, since i would have liked an audience as well as a few tickets to Blizzcon, I present it here.

Power Overwhelming

The noonday sun glinted off the crystalline spire of the Terrace of Light beautifully as Samej Arkanus, Evoker General to Lady Sylvanas herself, hustled through the lower city. His staff, a stout thing of rosewood that held within it many dweomers, tap-tapped on the broken stones of the wide avenue. The heat oppressed the city like a well-placed fireball would smolder a parchment, causing all refugee’s present to either seek shade or boil.
Then again, you did not mind the heat when you could not feel it.
Samej, like many who served the lady, was undead, a forsaken soul produced from the plagues of old Lordaeron. A sheaf of papers he carried under his left arm, reports from agents out on the field, beyond the city walls, out there. Oh yes, Samej had many dislikes in the hostile places of the Outlands, chief of which was the wilderness itself. He glanced a look over the walls of shining Shattrath city as he ascended the Scryers tier on one of their many elevators.
Samej was old, but he remembered. He remembered the adventures and deeds done in a myriad of dungeons, the countless scores killed, all in the name of the bloodthirsty entity that is the Horde. The many times he had come to deaths doorstep, and dozens more the times he was turned away, to live on to this day. That was then, this was now.
Some thoughtful men say that the pen is mightier than the sword, although this is false if taken literally. Yet to be able to wield that pen, to have the will to order the deaths of countless servants and soldiers, to decide the fate that men will have after all, that takes true skill and might.
The elevator stopped, and Samej walked on, enacting a spell of levitation, slowly ascending the air that separated him and his office. Samej was daydreaming, again, of those lost times, though if he actually detested them or not, none could say. What could be said is that he fell into a trap, a pungent trap.
Samej looked up and was too lost in thought to notice the beast coming for him.
“Sammy! Finally your back!” The tall beast of grating iron and pieced together metal bellowed as he gathered Samej in an enormous bear hug. Although a giant hug would be more accurate.
Samej looked up, dreading to see that face from the past. There was no use though, it drew you in, to gaze upon a face that survived many battles and still had enough nerves to recognize the fact. Then the full smell of Delmonty Montenegro Monty hit him, an airy bouquet. After dying and coming back, Delmonty was again ready to haunt reality with his stench
“What are you doing here, in all places?” Samej said in a low voice, glancing around as if more faces from his past were to show themselves.
“Well, I was in the area, and the bar closed early today so I decided to look you up in the Golden Pages”, Delmonty said as he collapsed into one of the two chairs opposite Samej’s desk.
“But why here? Don’t you have a house of your own?”
“I’m a drifter Samej, wherever I rest my head each day is my home, so right now, this chair is making a comfortable enough bed”, Delmonty finished with a satisfied yawn.
Just then, before Samej had any chance to protest this universal truth, a stately orc of regal nature strode in. He wore a black silk tuxedo made from illidari manaworms and held a stack of papers in an uncaring sort of way. He walked calmly to Samejs’ desk and deposited the papers there before making a deep bow and standing at attention.
Delmonty was either unimpressed or very tired as he just snored on.
“Ah, thank you Yams, these must be the regimental status reports from the Keep, you may leave.”
The orc bowed deeply once more before trotting off to a side room.
Samej began leafing through the reports with an air of extreme scrutiny. A skirmish in Shadowmoon. A dozen dead in Blades Edge. Countless dammned in a mass sacrifice in some backwater called Zul’Araq. A counteroffensive here. Some old sod getting assassinated here.
“Who am I to decide men’s fates?”, Samej silently mused to himself. Am I not god? Is there a god, and if there is, is he so terrible to condone so much violence? The way of the sword and staff is held both ways. A weapon, no matter its use, is an enemy even to its owner. I just order the butchers bill. Am I really all that different form what I fight.
Samej looked over to Delmonty, so peaceful in his purpose, in playing such a small role in life. He has order to his chaos, a way of life. Eat, drink, sleep, kill, and repeat. I was like that once, so empty in my knowledge of the machinations of man. Man is undone by his own design, and I put forth that design that he is to be undone by.
It was the heat. It could drive anyone mad with guilt over this war, this damn war that corrupted everything, every idea and theory that you had to the purpose of battle and blood. It made you dead inside, and yet filled you with purpose to do something. Samej knew that he had to stop standing around giving word of war and had to see war. He had to glimpse what he was contributing towards, the stillness of this life was too plain, too boring.
Delmonty was still asleep by the time Samej had arranged his “new” plans for the day with Yams, his orcservant and gathered up his old Evokers robes and staff of office. He entered the magic circle with a feeling of dread anticipation, not sure what he may find in the war zone that was Netherstorm.
As he began casting he noticed some movement out of the corner of his eye yet kept concentrating on the spell of Portal, not wanting to lose it.
A roar of silence greeted him as he began stepping through the portal to find himself being pushed in. As he materialized on the other side, the stench of undeath and bad socks baked in rancid rabbit and boar meat greeted him once again, pinpointing Delmonty as right behind him.
“You weren’t gonna leave me behind were you Samej? I still remember that time in Stratholme when you ditched me, though the Baron didn’t seem to mind so much when I started up that drinking song.”
Samej was speechless. This was not because of the everfull potion of annoyance that was Delmonty but because of the grand stage he saw before him.
Great asteroids and comets of unbelievable size soared overhead as fractal energies in the proto-space above clashed and wove into and out of each other in an eternal dance. The ground, pockmarked with craters big and small and frosted in an icing of nitrogen gas was a violet cake, crumbling into the void at most spots. The sound of the decaying nature of this place was so great to overwhelm one man, who even in un-death, had enough presence of mind to be awed by such titanic display of power, to trample over a mortal man, and strike with awe an undead immortal.
All around, in forms of pain and agony lay a multitude of forms, big and small, short and tall. A macabre graveyard at the edge of the universe, this place was.
The anger and heat that boiled up in Samejs’ mind raged at the sacrifice of these men, the thing that had destroyed them, the thing that had sent them to be destroyed. The designer of their fate.
Samej knew then, standing on that solemn field with an uncaring walking whisky bottle, that he was no god. He could not reproduce the miracles placed here by science and genesis of this world.
“If I were god Delmonty, I would strive for an end to this. An end to pain and suffering, so I may live on without having to make the crafts of subtle death that I do.”
Delmonty looked at Samej then, puzzled at this profound insight that he could not grasp like a slithery trout. No matter, he thought there would always be another Southshore Stout to be had.
For Samej, this was enough, he now knew that he was making the sacrifice of knowing mans fates to fight that chaos that he saw about, the death that surrounded him, to prevent that stillness to come to his Palace of Paper in Shattrath, to Yams, to Delmonty, to all. To guard mans destiny like the last guardian Medivh, cursed with madness, as I am cursed with knowledge of these black days.
Samej soon left along with Delmonty, and deathly silence reigned once again.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Amaunator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. There are some grammatical and vocabulary errors in there, but nothing profoundly wrong, and it was interesting to read. The reference to 'the Golden Pages' was a bit transparant though Very Happy.
Samej

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, but my only other idea for a mass referencing program would be the Teleconomicon. Would that have worked better?

Samej Arkanus-Poet, Scholar, Archmage
Amaunator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even know what that is Very Happy.

I'd just keep it vague 'People I know who know people told me...'
Samej

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its latin for phonebook.

Heh.

Tele-Phone

Nomicon-usually a book or tome

Amaunator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, tele is from Greek (and it means 'distant' not 'phone' Confused, where the hell you got that from is a complete riddle to me, or I read it incorrectly, which is slightly more possible!), as is nomikon (< nomikos; book of laws), but why did you put 'co' in between it Confused, that put me off a little bit.

Greek is not a WoW language, so it would be surprising if an almost entirely Greek name would appear in WoW. You don't have to go on a killing spree for new words to make a story. There's plenty of good and useable words out there that have been used a million times over and still do the trick Wink.
Samej

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tele is latin, and yes it means "distant" yet the term (teleconomicon) is from another authors novel.

Co is the usual thing for those tomes of magic like Nercroconomicon or Wombanomicon from Penny Arcade.

It has no meaning but Ive never seen most people complain.

Actually I think Teleconomicon sounds like a usable word for this story.

And if it surprises you that an almost entirely greek name would appear in WoW then take a look at most of the Npc's names in WoW and some monsters, theres a slew of greek and latin references in WoW.

Quote:
There's plenty of good and useable words out there that have been used a million times over and still do the trick

I like inventing new words and languages, its not "A" WoW canon story thus I can change It in any way I deem desirable.

Amaunator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not wanting to go hard on semantics here, but seeing how I have the annoying habit of having the last word ^^:

Wikipedia wrote:
Tele may mean:

* Tele- is a Greek prefix meaning "distant". It can be short for television or telephone.
* The Fender Telecaster guitar is nicknamed the "Tele".
* Lake Tele, a lake in the Congo known as the home of the Mokele mbembe.
* Tele, Mozambique, a town in Mozambique.
* Chhagan Godha Tele, a member of the Dhangar caste in India.

A simple Google Battle will solve the 'co' problem:
Necronomicon: 1.070.000 hits
Necroconomicon: 7 hits
'nuff said

The 'co' is completely redundant, so telenomicon might be more applicable if you do want to use it. And yes, the 'nomicon' thing is as pervasive a term used in magic-using games as is the term 'nemesis' for RPG-style games...

With Telenomicon I got one hit (as with Teleconomicon zero) on Google and it referred to 'the phonebook of the dead'... Close, though.

There's nothing wrong with making new words or expressions even (just look at Albatross's story Very Happy), but you can't just go overboard like that digging up words you could write in the Greek alphabet and still be able to use...

Making up languages, however, is entirely different thing on a whole new level, which I can only applaud and encourage!

And with 'Greek name' I meant Greek proper name, like for an object more than a person (they do appear, but not very often...) and there are few objects that are Greek as opposed to them refering to Greek lore and mythology (which is normal practice for almost every printed word in Western European tradition...).
Samej

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all Wikipedia is NOT always right, in fact it is almost (50%) of the time wrong. In this case, I have taken Latin as a foreign language and Tele IS a root meaning distant, it may also be greek, yet Latin and greek are one in the same as Romans and greeks used many of the same words.

So what if the "co" is redundant, I like it in my story and so it shall stay.

Quote:
With Telenomicon I got one hit (as with Teleconomicon zero) on Google and it referred to 'the phonebook of the dead'... Close, though.

That is the author I was reffering to, Terry Pratchett creates this word in one of his books and uses it as a "phonebook of the dead".

Samej=undead

Delmonty=also undead

Thus Telenomicon is usable.

Quote:
but you can't just go overboard like that digging up words you could write in the Greek alphabet and still be able to use...

Why not?

Its fiction man, get a grip on unreality.

Heloly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to chime in here, but Am, Mr. Madison, and I have all taken Latin and at least possess a basic Greek knowledge. Trust me when I say that "Tele" is almost certainly Greek based.

If you've absolutly got your heart set on Latin, might I suggest a mixture of mittere, "to send", and the prefix trans-?

Also, the redundant "co" should definately be taken out if simply to make the word easier to pronounce. Try saying both aloud, you'll see what I mean.

<_<

Pretty decent story by the way...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And for other ideas of prefixes: long(e) (La.; far, distant), longuique (La.; far away from), procul (La.; away from). Wink

Why are you referring to Mr. Madison, actually? Very Happy
Heloly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's taken Latin as well. I know these things...

Also, your posts are now 1337 now too. Good job!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"yet Latin and greek are one in the same as Romans and greeks used many of the same words."

ummm, Sorry to jump on the train like this, especially since I, by no means, profess to be any kind of latin or greek or history expert, BUT I don't need to consult Wikipedia to know that Latin and Greek are most certainly NOT one in the same. Greek influence (language, culture, etc) was spread out through the known world at the time by Alexander the Great. Rome, which created the Latin language, was not even in existence at that time. Hundreds of years later, a little city on the Tiber River grew strong and eventually conquered Greece and most of the former Greek empire. But those people in that city called Rome had a language of their own. Now they admired and strove to emulate the ancient Greeks, and undoubtedly that's where some Greek influenced the Latin language. Therefore, yes, the two languages of course do share a linguistic bond, but they most definitely aren't the same. Latin may also use that word unit "tele", but if it originally came from Greece, then it is Greek, not Latin. One language adopting a word does not change the "ownership" of the word. Anyways, enough of my blabbing.......I get too excited when the topic of linguistics comes up.

oh, and yes Samej, I thought the story rocked too!!! Laughing I hope to see some more! But I do have to admit, I've heard of the Necronomicron all my adult life, but I sure the heck never did see the Necroconomicon until now. I thought it was a typo....

Please don't let any of our henpecking bother you, go ahead and let your creative juices flow:)
Samej

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my latin teacher seemed to be adamant on the idea of tele being a latin root...

Quote:
"yet Latin and greek are one in the same as Romans and greeks used many of the same words."

What I should have said is, "its all Latin/Greek to me".

Quote:
go ahead and let your creative juices flow:)

Triple Ellipse Dotter-... ... ...

Giovanni

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rly i'm surprised with u all, calling this a fiction forum...
If i wrote a story and wanted to use the word calltradocor for telephone-book
would u be upset?
u all need to calm down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Albatros Bits Forum Index -> The Writers' Nest All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: