Albatros Bits

Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Incidents in the life of John Farson
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amaunator

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second part:

He rode there early every morning on an old gray mare and returned home late each night by same.

--> same <transport>...? Smile

Godless hour of the morning

--> Why capitalise?

Third part:

Loaded... Very loaded...

It's a bit ecclectic too. I'm still trying to come to terms with some of it.

Is it meant to be taken figuratively at some point? Very Happy (Just asking this because young writers (not that I'm not a young writer... Wink) often don't have anything more to tell than an exciting story; nice in itself, but still just an exciting story.)
Letum

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The work is purposefully very, very vague. I want you to think of all the possibilities and interpretations before I finally reveal (if the further ambiguities I plan can really be called revealing) what is what. Chances are, anything you can think of is right in some way. Stretch your minds!

PS: What makes you think I am young?
Amaunator

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have nothing to base on to assume that you're young, really... Very Happy

But I guess I can talk my way out of it by saying 'young in writing' Wink.
Letum

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot tell you how this story ends, but I can perhaps tell you a thing that will help you to understand. Remember, though, that every story is true somewhere. The one you hear is as true as the one I tell.

Deep in the woods stands a massive tree, an oak. Its roots plunge in and out of the ground like serpents in the sea. Its trunk is so tall, thick, and rough that a man could mistake it for a rock wall. It is a very old tree, and the passage of years has worn a small hollow out beneath its base. This cramped space can be accessed from a shaft that runs up between two roots. It is blocked by a large boulder, which presently rolls to one side as John puts his weight on the lever.

Honest John slides down into the cold darkness. He has to crawl on his hands and knees until he finds what he is looking for: a rotted skeleton. The denizens of the earth have long since picked it clean. It lies supine on its back. Beneath the collapsed ribcage, next to the spine, lies a long dagger. John crawls over and lays himself next to his father. He curls himself into a tiny ball and dies.

Some minutes later, John Farson rises up from the ground. His eyes are sunken into their sockets; his mouth is a rictus of hatred. In his hand he holds a dagger. With a small noise of exertion he heaves against the boulder. It rolls back into place and settles with a small thud. John Farson is a powerful man.
Letum

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one more part to this story, but as it says, you can't hear it. It is effectively over. You may now begin speculating. I think I have given you more than enough to work out what is going on. To be honest, the third post partially and the last post wholly were to help you along. But hey, maybe I'm wrong. Go on and discuss.
Amaunator

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heloly wrote:
Wait... Which John is Honest John? Are they all different people? STOP NAMING EVERYONE JOHN!

Quoted for truth Very Happy.
Alec

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far as I can tell, there are 3 Johns here. Honest John, John Farson and just John. I may be wrong, and I still have no clue which is which because I'm too lazy to go back and read the rest of the story right now, maybe tomorrow.

Also I like your new avatar, it goes nicely with you confusing the hell out of us.
Heloly

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honest John is John Junior. John Senior is just John Senior. He either rises from the grave to get his son what he wants, or Honest John channels his spirit.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, that would make sense too.
Letum

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ding ding ding! Heloly wins the grand prize!

Honestly now, people, was that so hard?

The point of the ambiguity of naming is to emphasize the blending that occurs between Johns older and younger. Whether it is that John younger becomes crazy like his father, is possessed, trades his life so his father can rise again, or whatever, doesn't matter. They are all essentially the same thing, which is this: John is haunted. How exactly it happens is yours to decide.
Alec

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're sorry master, please don't punish us for our failures. It's just that the whole jumping through times with everyone named John and then you not always telling us which John it is and sometimes us not even knowing which time it is gets confusing as hell.

Sarcastic pleas for mercy aside, it has all clicked into place and I'm looking forward to being able to tell what the hell is going on for the rest of the story.
Letum

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhh...the story is over. The whole point of the story was you going on a journey of discovery. So...yeah.
Alec

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, well your post telling us the story was over was also confusing. I think I'll just quiet down.
Heloly

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the Story is over I decided to flex my powers and move it to the completed manuscript section. It was a good one.

Hmmm... I can't remove the sticky anymore. Bummer.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could say I'm going to edit it up and make it all nice and shiney so it would be fit to go in the manuscripts section.

But I'm not. I have this nasty habit of not editing, ever.

So. Yeah.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Albatros Bits Forum Index -> Manuscripts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: