Albatros Bits

Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Orcmar Shorts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Albatros Bits Forum Index -> The Murloc is Lonely
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amaunator

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dude has a point!
Onokos

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, but does it really matter? We get the point, and it's not strange enough to throw off the flow of the story.
"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do. What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of God, I will do." --Edward Everett Hale
Amaunator

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a mention. Any critique is valuable Smile.
Onokos

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you say ... Wink
"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do. What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of God, I will do." --Edward Everett Hale
Gilmar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passages that may benefit from a re-think.

In "Honor": "They wore matching black shirts, with a white hand, palm out, crudely painted in dark green paint." A white hand painted in green paint?

In "Labor": "From behind the mud-brick wall came a sudden shuffling, followed by a muffled shout." But the mud-brick wall had not previously been described; it should be "a mud-brick wall". The wall with HORSE written on it is described as "rough sandstone", not as made of bricks, though that's where Horse seems to bust out of.

Also, let me see if I have this straight: as an initiation, a new recruit is sealed behind a brick wall and has to come out thru it. Then they have to rebuild it. So, what happens when another new recruit comes along? Does someone have to tear down the wall AGAIN and entomb the newbie? Seems inefficient. IIRC, in WoW graphics for inns & such, there can be several sleep niches in the wall. Maybe it's done only for the niche the recruit is in, once. But then that loses whatever symbolism "rebuild the wall" has.... If not breakfast, they should at least give him a sip of Amontillado for his efforts.

Will we find out what Horse's second-to-last task was? In "Starvation", the last sentence says it's coming, and the next story, "Loyalty", says "It had been months since the end of his second-to-last task...."
Albatros
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gilmar wrote:
Passages that may benefit from a re-think.

In "Honor": "They wore matching black shirts, with a white hand, palm out, crudely painted in dark green paint." A white hand painted in green paint?

In "Labor": "From behind the mud-brick wall came a sudden shuffling, followed by a muffled shout." But the mud-brick wall had not previously been described; it should be "a mud-brick wall". The wall with HORSE written on it is described as "rough sandstone", not as made of bricks, though that's where Horse seems to bust out of.

Also, let me see if I have this straight: as an initiation, a new recruit is sealed behind a brick wall and has to come out thru it. Then they have to rebuild it. So, what happens when another new recruit comes along? Does someone have to tear down the wall AGAIN and entomb the newbie? Seems inefficient. IIRC, in WoW graphics for inns & such, there can be several sleep niches in the wall. Maybe it's done only for the niche the recruit is in, once. But then that loses whatever symbolism "rebuild the wall" has.... If not breakfast, they should at least give him a sip of Amontillado for his efforts.

Will we find out what Horse's second-to-last task was? In "Starvation", the last sentence says it's coming, and the next story, "Loyalty", says "It had been months since the end of his second-to-last task...."

Honor - oops. I've read over that sentence a hundred times and it somehow always made sense to me.

Labor - I'll have to reread it, but I always thought I'd painted HORSE on the brick wall. To answer your question about rebuilding the wall: you only need to take a few bricks back out to slide an unconscious orc through a wall. (A few more for a tauren...) Part of the task's effect is that the initiate is blocked in a room which they did not know existed. (It's not a niche - it's a wall. and I'm sure it'd be a much harder task if they got you drunk and chained you in first. Wink )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Albatros Bits Forum Index -> The Murloc is Lonely All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: