Albatros Bits

Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Death to the Horde
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keltor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urg, ok, i need help from the lore masters, and well, heavy WoW players again. I have writen a good bit of my story so far. Things were going well, and then I suddenly had a question that could render a good portion of my story well, useless. Are there any Gnolls at all in Kalimdor?
Saranus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer: Yes.

There is a gnoll tribe in Feralas in a place called the Woodpaw hills. Their tribe bears the same name.

Then there are more gnolls that are there because they are pirates with the Southsea Pirate organization. There are also gnolls employed by the Venture Company in the Barrens, Mulgore, Stonetalon.
Exodus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, he's pretty much got it. There might be gnolls in Ashenvale but I don't think so, I think they're furbolgs.
Aidinthel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There arn't any gnolls in Ashenvale. I took 2 characters through there and didn't see any. There are, however, furbolgs, bears, spiders, demons, an Alliance questing area in ther form of an orcish lumber mill, elementals, naga, wolves, assorted critters, big antlered things, and probably some other stuff, too.

I never nuked anything that didn't stop being an immediate problem.
Saranus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treants, hydras, dryads, worgen, 2 forsaken camps, some ghostly druids, a twilight's hammer camp, murlocs, bog beasts, saytrs, green dragons and faerie dragons
GermanGuestNowComfy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, just reread the story and found confirmed a feeling I had about it earlier:

The strength of it from my point of view lies in the character development shown in the first part. It's not only amazing as to writing style, but also each and every character is complicated, detailed and partly ambiguous, which I love. Really! A lot!!

Sadly, at the end the nightelves become the exact opposite. They're just flat and plain silly bullies. Their exagerated physical strength only adds to this. Although that may serve to make the point that hatred makes blind, is hard to overcome and makes people to act as plain silly bullies, it's all just a little to obvious and happens to fast and just leaves me unsatisfied with the story as a whole.

Even though the outcomes for our poor hero might be the same at the end, I'd have wished for a similar complexity in character formation as in the beginning.

Note:
Please don't take this as an offense. I've returned to this story after months (and during a time, where I am quite consumed with writing the thesis for my masters degree), which means it has been there bothering me at the fringes of my mind for quite a long time, which again would never happen with something I don't greatly appreciate. So this critique is also quite a praise in fact. Wink
Keltor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take offense? Not in the least. Back when I was posting this story half of my non-story posts were begging people to be more critical. So actually thank you very very much.

I actually struggled with this exact thing as I was writing it. I did not in any way intend to make the nightelves seem like stupid bigots. My intention was to have the druid be the stupid bigot and simply have the rest succumb to a sort of mob mentality, which happens quite easily, regardless of how intelligent the individuals are. Unfortunately I don't think it came across that way at all. I may give that ending a revision one of these days, and I will definitely keep that in mind.

Oh, and as for the exaggerated physical strength, that really wasn't intended to reflect on the nightelves, but rather was more of a representation of how powerless Jon felt at the time. That may not have been obvious, but that was intentional, rather than a symptom of not being able to convey my ideas well.

Thank you again, if you have any other suggestions, no matter how nitpicky, please bring them up, i would be glad to address them.
Randomdude

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the new story up by now because i really liked this one and thats a life lesson you don't win everything and if your right your not always trusted. If your new story isn't up I think you should make a Blood elf in it... and make him insane!
Exodus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the sticky with Keltor as the author titled 'Divine'
Aidinthel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, everyone loves homicidal paranoid main characters. Rolling Eyes

Keltor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, well there is a reason I decided against it, although criminals and the insane can be quite lovable.
Alec

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would've liked it better than the gnolls, gnolls suck.
Aidinthel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....I see. Would you care to inform us how you got to that conclusion?

Alec

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're ugly, and they always aggro their friends when I'm not ready.
Ulkarr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you think they suck cause you struggle at beating them? Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Albatros Bits Forum Index -> Manuscripts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: