Albatros Bits

Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wrath of the Lich Duke

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Albatros Bits Forum Index -> The Writers' Nest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
destron

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:31 am    Post subject: Wrath of the Lich Duke Reply with quote

((Just for fun!))

The Burning Legion was never one to leave things half-finished. While Azeroth reeled from the Scourge attacks in Northrend, another front was opening in the far south. Few had even heard of Azeroth's south pole, and fewer still had seen it. For this reason, Kil'jaeden saw it as a fine place for a Second Scourge.

He forced the soul of an orc warlock into another meteorite, which was sent hurtling into the icy wastes of the south. Consciousness arose in the frigid stone: the Lich Duke awoke. His mind reached out, seeking minions. Here at last was the vengeance he sought.

He found penguins. The curious birds waddled around the snowy desert, wanting nothing more than food. Perhaps, thought the Duke, great civilizations lay beneath the ice. Yet the underground held less than did the surface. In desperation he scanned the seas. Surely, he reasoned, there would at least be a few of those murlocs. But even the fish-men shunned the Antarctic desolation.

The nearest landmass beyond the south pole was far across the ocean, too far for his psychic influence to reach. Cursing and raging against his fate, the Lich Duke tirelessly searched for an opportunity. Each time, he came up empty-handed.

During his efforts, he could not help but notice the penguins. Given the scarcity of entertainment in his domain, he began to spend more and more time watching them. At first an idle distraction, it soon grew into something approaching an obsession. His vast mind catalogued the different breeds, along with their living habits. Over time, he began to forget about the Second Scourge.

One day, a derelict goblin caravel beached itself on the frozen shores. Most of the crew was dead and would have been perfect candidates for zombification. However, this was the farthest thing from the Lich Duke's mind. He mentally contacted the captain, Zib Snikrik. Through his goblin intermediary, the Lich Duke began to write an extensive treatise on Antarctic wildlife.

The resulting work was impressive to say the least. No one had ever really studied the fauna of the south pole. Captain Zib (who was free-willed, and aware of the Lich Duke's nature) repaired his ship with the Duke's arcane assistance. Zib took the treatise to Undermine and published it. A relatively honest goblin, he gave the Duke due credit. Of course, Zib got all the publishing royalties since alien undead intelligences have no real need of money.

The treatise was well-regarded and spread to other intellectual centers, like Ironforge and Silvermoon. The Lich Duke followed it up with several others. In time, he studied other aspects of the Antarctic, like geology and meteorology, to name a few. Zib made routine trips to the far south, acting as the Duke's executor.

Though some in the north were suspicious of the Lich Duke, most came to accept him as a respected authority on the south pole. A group of enterprising gnomes set up the Institute of Antarctic Studies on the edge of the Lich Duke's domain. They were honored to have the insight and analysis of this undead entity.

Just as the Lich Duke forgot about his mission, so too did the Burning Legion forget about him. The Duke had transcended his original purpose, finding meaning and happiness in something greater than himself.
Amaunator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad it's not a little bit more spun out, but I love I really do love the thought behind it Wink. There's only one plot hole: the Burning Legion forgot? Smile
may drop your heart may heal

feelings of love you love
fluttering hearts you hate
revealing souls you love
breaking spirits you hate that

the sun...
Aidinthel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be willing to believe that the Legion simply decided that he was useless and planned to kill him along with the rest of the world, which would seem like they forgot.

I never nuked anything that didn't stop being an immediate problem.
Farsider

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loled. Certainly a different beast than the Travelogue! I think I'm going to have to add the Lich Duke into my realm of 'personal lore' outside official canon.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to take a trip to Southrend some day... Razz.
destron

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, Southrend. I like that.

I wrote this story more as a joke than anything else, but I won't stop anyone from adding it to their personal lore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Albatros Bits Forum Index -> The Writers' Nest All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: