Albatros Bits

Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Path of Cenarius Book 1: Rethiel's Guidance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Albatros Bits Forum Index -> The Writers' Nest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sabredurid330

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Path of Cenarius Book 1: Rethiel's Guidance Reply with quote

Selos the Swamp Elf

Menethil Harbor, a bustling port town rests on the coast of the swampy Wetlands. A crux of the Dwarven trading network, this city serves as a crossroads of most ways to and from Kalimdor. The buildings are crowded and much of the older architecture has collapsed and sunk into the surrounding marsh. The city and the swamp push into each others borders in contest. A victor-less war wages between them.

I bit the nail on top of my index finger as I strolled between the old wooden shacks and huts of the quiet end of town. I walked past an old castle at the middle of town. Posters had been plastered along the aged stones all bearing the same message and picture.

Wanted: Selos the Swamp Elf

Under this bulletin was a picture of a blue-haired elf who could be no older
than his teens with pale skin. The picture was blurry and the elf was covered in mud anyway. Careful inspection reveals shining silvery eyes and a slender pointed face. Not much else is discernible.

For the destruction of trade goods, repeated homicide and brutality and torture of innocents. Whoever brings his head or other proof of his demise shall be rewarded the bounty of 6000 gold.

I smirked at the poster and walked on without stopping long.

I turned my attention to an ancient looking pub rounded by salty water and warm winds. My hand rubbed along the familiar doorway and pulled it open. I'd arrived in the Deep Water Tavern. Supposedly the first bar ever established in Menethil Harbor and though it certainly looked the part, there were dozens of other bars in town that looked the same.

The crowd looked at the disturbance created by the opening door briefly and then went back to their drinks and discussions. There was nothing disturbing about a man in a cloak and hood walking into a bar.

I took a table in back and waited. The bartender was starting a tale and though it was one that I'd heard a million times, it was still worth listening to.

"This is the story of the Green Warden, the greatest beast these swamps ever saw.

"Aye, so, a Dwarven businessman was traveling along the dark, marsh roads. His caravan loaded to the brim with all sorts of goods was being pulled along by a pair of horses and he made his way along the night swamp roads. Surely his musket would pull him through against any crocs or savage beasts that might attack him in the night. He had the chance to stop and camp earlier but he was a hard-working sort and refused to turn in without putting a few more miles behind him"

He cleared his throat once and continued.

"So out in the roads the merchant met little trouble and he rushed on, pushing his beasts to exhaustion. It wasn't long before he was clsoing on his destination. Only half a day's travel stood between him and Menethil Harbor. Well, he rounded a particularly sharp bend and the road vanished beneath a lake of water. There was simply no way to progress. Our hero started to unpack after untying his horses when his entire caravan was tossed into the muck beside him. Giant vines and roots grew up out of nothing around 'im and wrapped around."

I smiled safely beneath my hood. The bartender paused for dramatic effect. The crowd was quiet, somber almost.

"He began to struggle against the strangling bramble when a great beast rose out of the murk. With flesh made of green swamp leaf and the very mud of the swamps, his entire form was an insult to nature."

I practically snorted. A being so in tune with nature that he is both plant and animal is unnatural?

"So he grabbed his musket which was beside him and fired three rounds into the creature's head. 'e attacked without a moment's hesitation like a true hero. So the monster was stunned and the Dwarf thought himself victorious. Unfortunately, The wounds disappeared instantly and he was unharmed."

"You know what all these spells sound like, right?" he said to the crowd conspiratorially, looking through the room. "It's all that elf-magic. Controlling nature to bend it to some silly whim. If you ask me, any race that is odd man out in this faction it's those elves. They drag the Alliance away from it's glory and times of greatness."

There was murmured assent throughout the crowd. I just kept my face in a smile. Those idiots don't know anything. The Alliance would be nothing without Night Elves (the Alliance was the faction of humans, elves, dwarves and gnomes that was at constant hostility with the Horde.)

"That monster reached up his giant muddy claw and glared down at the young, ambitious dwarf. Growling and gurgling he gave a rough warning. One slash cut along our hero's face leaving him scarred and blind in one eye. Then he told him in rusty Common, "Warn your kind. These swamps belong to the Green Warden now. Beware the Fen Dwellers; they are my servants. The Fen Dwellers, as we as a people found out soon there after, are a bunch of plant creatures like the Green Warden. They only ever obeyed him."

"And since that day, he has terrorized anyone foolish enough to travel before him at night. Where did he spring up from, you ask? No one knows. He just appeared one day a hundred years ago and has only stopped terrorizing us common people a month ago. That's only because a new beast of equal capacity to haunt us taken his old mantle. Selos the Swamp Elf has been commanding the Fen since the Green Warden's disappearance."

There was some scattered applause but the crowd seemed strangely disinterested. No one was enthusiastic and the conversation ended suddenly. I waited a few moments letting the crowd scatter into their own discussions.

I waved the barkeep over. He walked over and glared at me. His mouth was curled in apparent distaste. Keeping my hood low I moved close to his ear. "My men in green are looking for some news about the men in blue that have been around here lately."

The bartender's face paled. "Whaddya mean, lad?" he whispered.

"Don't call me lad," I hissed. "I've seen the Defias Brotherhood sending men in THIS tavern at all hours of the day lately."

"Oh," he mumbled back. "The Defias Brotherhood has there eyes on making a following in Menethil. They hope to control Menethil as well as Thandol, the town at northern end of Wetlands. From there, they hope to crush you and your forces in the middle. Is that all, ye'll be having, SIR?"

"Hold on, are you sure?" I asked, slightly louder than I meant to. "Do you know that for a fact?"

"Well, Selos," the barkeep said louder still, "I should know seeing as how I've rented out my pub to the Defias for their new headquarters."

I looked around fervently and saw that everyone had stopped their conversation. Men were circling the table with daggers and knives drawn.

"But, I thought you were..." I stammered.

"I was never on your side, Selos. I guess you miscalculated that detail. I knew you were hiding that monster too. If you die, he will show himself and then Menethil will finally be rid of one of it's greatest plagues. Trade will be free again in the Wetlands."
Amaunator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, a couple of slight errors (there/their; plural instead of possessive etc.), but otherwise good writing.

The action moved a bit rapidly though. You could have strung it out a little bit more or toned it down a little, to make it either a real chapter or a real teaser.
may drop your heart may heal

feelings of love you love
fluttering hearts you hate
revealing souls you love
breaking spirits you hate that

the sun...
Sabredurid330

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I had several incoherent ideas fluttering around. I needed to work out the story's structure it seems that I started way too media res before. I'm going to fix this chapter up. I had a different one written in my journal but that's at my place of music making right now. I just needed to start righting again.

That'll force me to keep writing.
Amaunator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free association it is then ^^. Give us anything you have when you retrieve it then Wink.
may drop your heart may heal

feelings of love you love
fluttering hearts you hate
revealing souls you love
breaking spirits you hate that

the sun...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Albatros Bits Forum Index -> The Writers' Nest All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: