Albatros Bits

Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Too late, too many.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Albatros Bits Forum Index -> The Writers' Nest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Letum

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Too late, too many. Reply with quote

My manual word count (I lack Word) placed this piece at 520-something words, and for the life of me I could not remove 20 more words by the contest submission date. Here it is, solely for your enjoyment.

It is noonday, and the sun is a small white speck in the sky. It is furthest from Azeroth on this day, Winter Solstice. Durotar fails to notice. On top of the zeppelin tower, there is a slight breeze. This does not cool things off so much as make a change from frying to convection cooking. A zeppelin drifts lazily into sight. The navigator frantically releases helium as the warmth of baking clay drives the craft upward. With much adjustment it comes to dock at the northern side of the tower. Deckhands jump out and deftly tie ropes around mooring hooks before scurrying belowdecks to stand by the propeller. The zeppelin master crows "All aboard! Zeppelin departs in twenty minutes!" and wonders why he didn't go to engineering school like his father wanted. Then he remembers that he did, in fact, go to school for four years and asks himself why he got stuck with this horrible job. While he is contemplating this the world decides to go find someone more interesting to exist for. He lets it. It's too hot to be conscious anyways.

Two passengers step over him and onto the zeppelin, which sways slightly with the wind. One is a warlock. His robes are blacker than black, covered in cabalic symbols that glow eerily. A hood casts a deep shadow over his face, and spots of green flame that might be eyes flicker balefully within. The other passenger is a Blood Elf of some profession, though it is hard to tell from his garments, which are plain cloth. He moves jerkily, running frantically in one direction before stopping to turn and then running yet again. The warlock watches curiously. On one of his sweeping turns the Elf's gaze passes across the warlock. He stops, turns back, and says in an offhand way, "Ha. You smell, you must be undead."

The warlock looks at him. The flames rise in the darkness, spilling up and out of the brim of his hood. From far away a rasping noise rushes out into the air and assembles itself into words. "You dare mock me, Elf? Do you think, because you have lived since the first age, that you are powerful? I have heard of the arrogance of the Elves, but I imagined it tempered by some amount of survival instinct." The voice rises, puncuated occasionally by a faint scream or cackle. "You have no idea what lies in wait for you beyond the void! You cannot imagine the horrors of the Dimension of Pain! I could relieve you of your soul with a thought, and you mock me? What can you say that would make me spare you?" The warlock raises his hands and wisps of shadow gather in the air. The Elf stares at him, glassy-eyed.

"Sorry, were you saying something? I was AFK."

"Oh, you wanna duel? No way! You're level seventy, I'm not stupid."

Letum sighs and lowers his hands. He walks to the other end of the zeppelin and stares out at the Southfury river. It is on days like these that he wishes he had just stayed in his grave*.

*Or at least chosen an RP server.
Moorea

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha ha ha ha, awesome Letum! Enjoyed it alot Razz

There are times when I'm tempted to go over to a RP server too....BUT starting over with no cash or gear really sucks. I like being able to twinkle my alts too much.
Samej

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, that was really good Letum.

I laughed hard at the worlds PoV.

Samej Arkanus-Poet, Scholar, Archmage
Amaunator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe I missed this when the Writers' Nest crowded a little while ago, but this really is a funny thing Very Happy. You could have scrapped some more words here and there, sure thing! This would have been typically WoW! It could have won Very Happy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Albatros Bits Forum Index -> The Writers' Nest All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: