Albatros Bits

Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So here's an idea...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Albatros Bits Forum Index -> The Murloc is Lonely
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exodus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: So here's an idea... Reply with quote

Alright. We all know that Albatros is working is crazy long job and such cannot write. Now, we also know 2 more things. We know that Albatros knows what the next chapter is going to look like, plot wise, and we know that we have some great writing talent on these forums.

Here is what I propose: we do something different this chapter. If you are interested in being a 'guest writer' for this chapter, you could PM Albatros to have him give you a plot outline, and then you would write a chapter about it and PM it back to him. Either him or somebody else who's a good critic could read through all the submisions thus and choose the best one to post as the chapter.

We don't need some unknown guest writer to come, we have great writers here. It would only be for one chapter in one of the most trying times in Albatros' life, the chapter probably would either A) come out badly due to Albatros' lack of time to really pay attention to it (Which he wouldn't do to us) or B) take a really long, long time to put up because Albatros gives us nothing better than completely finished work.

This time, we could take a little of his work load off him, he had enough already. He would specify all the key points that needed to be in there, such as if a shout needs to rent the air at one point and so forth, but the small things would be left in the writer's capable hands. What do you think?
Keltor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its a great idea... sorta. In terms of straight plot movement, im sure that any of us writer folks could do a good job, and if I spent a bit of time im sure i could even emulate his style, but beyond that it wouldnt work. I mean, part of whats great about the story is the tantalizing hints that he drops. Without knowing the entire story arc, it would be really hard to include these. Also, character development would be dificult, although not impossible. That said, I encourage all prospective writers to PM the bird and ask his oppinion. I will.
Slashtrain

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think what would be good (maybe even better) is hiring some of the writers here to work together and make a simple side story or something. something that will clarify some minor details that may have been left out by Albatros. one option is, say, what happened to Tidus after Horse left him in Storm City. i'm not sure if Tidus has anything to do with the upcoming story, but if he doesn't, we could definitely do that.

if the bird gives us the go-ahead, the writers can get together and each write their own version, then discuss each person's version and make adjustments as we agree on to make one of them the best story we could. then, maybe, we could come somewhere close to the literary prowess of the Great Bird.
Saranus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem with the plan would be that all the back and forth between guest writer and Albatros might take just as much effort as just writing it himself.

Maybe instead, we can have guest Orcmar Shorts or maybe some pre-burning Storm City adventures. They aren't as integral to the plot and would be interesting tidbits on the side of the story that would tide us over. That way we can still get our murloc fix, and we won't lose anything in the miss story that we might if a chapter was done by a guest writer.
Exodus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keltor wrote:
I think its a great idea... sorta. In terms of straight plot movement, im sure that any of us writer folks could do a good job, and if I spent a bit of time im sure i could even emulate his style, but beyond that it wouldnt work. I mean, part of whats great about the story is the tantalizing hints that he drops. Without knowing the entire story arc, it would be really hard to include these. Also, character development would be dificult, although not impossible. That said, I encourage all prospective writers to PM the bird and ask his oppinion. I will.

I don't think so. Those hints and so forth would be one of the key points that any prospective writer would have to put in and thus, if you don't have the key points and hints in your story, it probably would not be posted. Saranus' point is quite a good one though, and the major downside of this proposal. If Albatros had a number 2 man to shuffle through all of the entries and send only the finalists up to Albatros it would work, but seeing as Albatros is flying solo (pardon the pun), that wouldn't really work.

Another option that would be fun but I hesistate to propose for reasons you will obviously realize but I can't quite name, is to have Albatros post the basic outline publicly in the forums what the next chapter is going to contain, any hints, key phrases, referances and events he had planned to put in there, and have a public contest where we all would vote on it. The side story or something would also work, but it would be a bit more work since Albatros would have to make up the guidelines from scratch most likely

And as a final note guys please, don't start PMing Albatros asking for the specs for the next chapter so you can start writing, he hasn't approved of this and it's only some wild idea as of yet. He's got enough on his hands without wondering why people all of a sudden started PMing him asking for the next chapter when he's clearly stated he doesn't have it made out and it will most likely just add to his stress.
Albatros
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of you guys writing some Murloc-world stuff, but I'm gonna keep TMiL itself to myself. Some cool stuff - although stuff that a bunch of you have seen coming in the abstract - coming up soon.

As for other writing, though - anything before Murloc is fair game. Some Storm City stuff with Rhy and Tidus and Horse, or something from Horse's Black Dragons days (I don't have much explicitly planned for that part of his life)... have at it! Feel free to use this forum, since it's Murloc-based.

You guys should start off here if you want, and if it turns into something big I'll throw it up on the front page for all the non-forumers to check out.
Slashtrain

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright, guys, let's think up our first topic. then we'll make a thread and go at it. that sound good?

i vote we try and write something up from Rhy or Tidus's perspective, something having to do with Storm City. maybe not how they all met, but something along those lines.
Exodus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking either Rhy's past from UC to SW, or what happened to Tidus after he met with Horse that one night in orcmar, and how he met up with Horse later in life. I'm not really a writer though, I just have a few ideas.
Amaunator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from that, we could also try to write 'the life of Fang'? Smile His past life, I mean.

That might be a bit too disturbing though, seeing how much links you'd have with the story...
Saranus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wrote up a rough draft outline for Horse's arrival in Storm City. It deals with the zeppelin ride and getting off and whatnot. I can post it if you want. Also, as a rule, we should keep all accounts of Horse in 3rd person. We could do a first person perspective of another minor character perhaps (probably not a good idea to do it from M or Fang's perspective either, just because not enough is known about the Law and everything). Someone like Madoran or Tamilin maybe.
Exodus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it would be too revealing of the story to write a section about how Fang got into the Law in the first place, although it should be much shorter than how Horse got in Razz.
Albatros
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exodus wrote:
I don't think it would be too revealing of the story to write a section about how Fang got into the Law in the first place, although it should be much shorter than how Horse got in Razz.

oh man, if anyone wants to tackle this shoot me a PM... Katy M has grown up a lot in the last several centuries.
Ulkarr

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saranus, lets see it. Its small tid bits like that that really fill out a character. I've always thought that if you plan a characters history, it makes it easier to write about that characters future. We may not be able to help Albatros with temil itself but we might be able to help Albatros by giving him the previous experiances during the times metioned above to look back on and get insperation from, to link into the story later on or simply make it easier for him to write about simmilar things in the story. But I think Albatros would probably need to moderate some of the writing just so it doesn't get off track.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...naw. I think I will leave those main characters to you guys. Don't wanna place any footsteps upon the main story line.

However, I might consider rereading a few of the early chapters and toying with some very minor characters, maybe some one liner in the Argent Dawn outpost or something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Albatros Bits Forum Index -> The Murloc is Lonely All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: